Subject: Re: IESG Statement: Support Documents in IETF Working Groups

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 12:11:38 +0900

This is excellent - many thanks.

Melinda

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Nov 2016 23:44:40 -0000

>This is excellent - many thanks.

Perfecting the support documents first is the waterfall development
model, which was demolished in The Mythical Man Month over 40 years
ago.  Doing everything in parallel as far as possible is agile
development or whatever the current buzzword is.

I agree this statement is excellent, although it's dismaying that
in 2016 it's still necessary.

R's,
John

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 18:12:15 +0900

On 9 Nov 2016, at 08:44, John Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> the waterfall development
> ago.

(Actually, it was introduced in a paper in 1970 that already explained why it doesn’t work very well.)

Grüße, Carsten