Subject: Community Feedback for London Venue

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 05:13:28 -0800

On June 21st the IAOC solicited feedback on whether people perceive
any reasons we could not have a successful meeting in London.

Input was received from a community member about four concerns about
a specific venue, which is in fact the venue chosen. We wanted to be
clear that the input was considered, and here is how we addressed
the points:

 1.  Hotel rooms were in poor condition and overpriced.

  Hotel contract negotiations produced a mix of rooms with the
  majority of the rooms being in the refurbished tower and a smaller
  number of rooms, not recently refurbished, but at a reduced guest
  room rate. Attendees can make their own choice about whether they
  wish to take the reduced rate or avoid the unrefurbished rooms.

 2.  Hotel navigation was confusing.

 Better signage and a second time familiarity with the venue by some
 should improve the attendee experience.

 3.  Some of the meeting rooms were semi-functional

 Staff experience with London at IETF 89 and since should result in
 a better experience.

 4.  The neighborhood was only tolerable

 Some of the issue of the neighborhood was due to construction at
 the time of our last meeting at the venue. We expect there have
 been improvements.

The IAOC did review the feedback as part of its decision process and
determined that, while recognizably not everyone’s venue, it is a
suitable location for holding a successful IETF 101 meeting. the
IETF could have a successful meeting in the London.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 09:05:20 +0900

>   wish to take the reduced rate or avoid the unrefurbished rooms.

this was my major concern.  thanks for addressing it as best one can
given the funkiness of the hotel.

>  should improve the attendee experience.

you underestimate the complexity of navigating the hotel.  the humor of
the secretariat helped a lot.

>  4.  The neighborhood was only tolerable

actually, i liked it.  there was fancy.  there was funky.  it was near
the deathrow express.  a convenient underground station.  a short taxi
to core london doings.

randy

---

From: "Patrik Fältström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 08:01:55 +0100

> the deathrow express.  a convenient underground station.  a short taxi

I also liked it. Close to the trains. Close to subway. Easy to move around. Sure, two blocks to the closest traditional british pub although I there had the among the best pies I have had. And just two blocks down the road one could have excellent arabic breakfasts nearby with more food than I could manage.

   paf

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 10:35:07 -0800

Randy Bush <[email-masked]> writes:

> you underestimate the complexity of navigating the hotel.

It's one of those places (we've been to a few) that makes only a few
days in, certainly.  But did you miss a meeting?  Were you late to a
meeting?  For me, it was confusing both times but fairly quickly settled
down.  If the construction is over, that will truly help.

> the humor of the secretariat helped a lot.

I'm hoping to add more buttons to my "special" stack and look forward to
the next labyrinth rewards.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI

---

From: tom p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 09:31:45 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wes Hardaker" <[email-masked]>
To: "Randy Bush" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "IETF Administrative Director" <[email-masked]>; "IETF Disgust List"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 6:35 PM
> down.  If the construction is over, that will truly help.

My overriding memory of London is of being on time for every meeting but
of every meeting starting late because the WG Chairs, presenters etc
expected to turn up with a minute or so to go and being unable to master
the technology, being unable to display a 'Note Well'.  Of course it
could be that the presenters set out in plenty of time but took so long
to find the room that they then had insufficient time to get the
technology working - but I doubt it!

Tom Petch