Subject: ISOC@IETF 97 Briefing Panel: The I in IoT: IoT Implications for a Global Open Internet

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 14:37:44 +0000

We are pleased to announce the Internet Society Briefing Panel at IETF 97:

----------
SESSION ABSTRACT

The I in IoT: Implications for a Global Open Internet

What are the implications of the Internet of Things (IoT) on the global internet,
from architectural, interoperability, and security perspectives? Is the end-to-end
principle of the global internet still relevant? What can the communities represented
at the IETF do to address these implications? In this lunchtime panel during IETF 97,
panelists will discuss how the IoT interacts with, and potentially challenges, a
global, open internet.

We will explore how the internet shapes the design of smart objects, and how
they in turn will shape the architecture of the internet. Are there general guidelines
with respect to security and overall behavior for these new devices? What should
designers of smart object architectures take into account because of the interaction
between devices and the internet?

Join moderator Olaf Kolkman and a panel of experts as we discuss these questions
and many more about key challenges related to the continued growth of IoT while
maintaining a secure and open global Internet.

Moderator: Olaf Kolkman, Internet Society

Panel:
• Carsten Bormann
• Erica Johnson, University of New Hampshire InterOperability Laboratory
• Hannes Tschofenig, ARM Limited
• Juan Carlos Zúñiga, SIGFOX

----------
PANEL DETAILS

Date: Tuesday, 15 November 2016
Venue: Conrad Seoul
Time: 12:15 PM - 1:15 PM (local time)

----------
HOW TO PARTICIPATE

Pre-registration is required for onsite participation and begins on
Tuesday, 8 November 2016.  Due to high demand for limited seating,
registration will be open in two time blocks to account for the broad
range of home timezones of IETF participants.  Registration opens in two
phases for global fairness: 14:00 UTC on 8 November 2016 and
02:00 UTC on 9 November 2016.

Look for the registration form link at the webpage below:
https://www.internetsociety.org/internet-society-briefing-panel-ietf-97

We also plan to have a live webcast of the event (no registration
required).

Information on the ISOC@IETF 97 Panel, webcast details, and an archive of
past ISOC@IETF Briefing Panels is available on our website.
http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/internet-technology-matters/open-
internet-standards/briefing-panels

We hope you can join us!