Subject: Re: why v6 still isn't ready, was IPv10

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 08:22:40 +1300

On 01/01/2017 17:45, Randy Bush wrote:
>> Windows Phone  0.3%
>> Apple iOS     12.5%
>> Android       86.8%
>>
>> It appears that not implementing DHCPv6 is the key to world
>> domination.  Next question, please?
> 
> you are confusing coincidence with causality

Indeed. In home networks, small office networks, many campus networks,
and in 3GPP deployment, DHCPv6 isn't a requirement. But in large corporate
networks, and many other campus networks, it is. Android BYOD devices won't
do too well in those. End users might not notice, because they will get 3GPP
service.

I think (unlike Randy?) that having the choice between SLAAC and DHCPv6 is
a fine thing. But hampering DHCPv6 by not having a next-hop router option
is a self-inflicted wound. (And the discussion belongs here, because it
transcends WGs.)

    Brian

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 19:55:07 +0900

> I think (unlike Randy?) that having the choice between SLAAC and
> DHCPv6 is a fine thing.

i have heard a rumor that randy agrees with you.  but, as you go on to
say, dhcp with hamstrings intact.

> But hampering DHCPv6 by not having a next-hop router option is a
> self-inflicted wound.

yep

randy