Subject: Follow-up on the issue of IETF members being unable to attend.

From: Dave Burstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 02:53:57 -0500

Folks

I want to thank Jari, Leslie, and Andrew for speaking rapidly and clearly.
I believe they are wise to address the issues directly affecting IETF
rather than discussing the merits of U.S. policy. I believe just about
everyone following this knows the issues and nothing would be gained by
political discussion.

A few follow-up suggestions, carefully chosen to be procedural. I'm mostly
a lurker here.:

   - That the IETF liaisons courteously forward our blog to the
   organizations we connect with. I just got a note in IEEE that they are
   considering a policy and believe what we've decided could help their
   discussion. I particularly would like to hear from Gonzalo with any
   response we get from 3GPP, a European-based group that might have a
   different perspective.
   - That we take up the offer of support from ISOC that Kathy Brown posted
   on the ISOC list. They have a communications staff of about a dozen
   full-time people. I've heard from two ISOC Board members as well as Kathy
   that they are deeply committed to doing what's right here. They might help
   if we reach out and reiterate that IETF is open to all. That could be as
   simple as a letter to the editor of leading publications in the countries
   most directly involved. I assume that whoever signs the note will carefully
   not present personal opinions as IETF policy. We could also send out the
   blog we have.
   - That we consider providing refunds to those blocked from attending.
   I'm told that IEEE will almost definitely offer refunds. I'd suspect the
   total would not be that large. It will be discussed at a teleconference
   February 7
   http://www.ieee802.org/minutes/Conference-calls/Conference-calls.shtml .
   I believe there are many IEEE members here and the call is open to all.

I have been reporting on this at http://bit.ly/2kKIjY3, which I'm posting
as a bit.ly link rather than with a title some might think subjective.

Dave Burstein

-- 
Editor, Fast Net News, 5GW News, Net Policy News and DSL Prime
Author with Jennie Bourne  DSL (Wiley) and Web Video: Making It Great,
Getting It Noticed (Peachpit)