Subject: Re: Review of draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-12

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 12:58:32 +0200

Thanks for your review, Roni.

> I think the document need an editorial review, a lot of text in
> passive language, for example

Authors — do take a note.

I am posting a No Objection vote on the document in today’s IESG telechat.

Jari

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 20:12:12 +0900

thanks roni.  i wonder how i missed your message.  my bad.

>> passive language, for example

i confess it is my normal mode, despite being a strunk and white fan.
sometimes rfced agrees, sometimes not and fixes.  unless it is a real
problem, i think i will not chase this one.

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 21:38:22 +0900

> passive language, for example third paragraph in section 1
> "BGPsec needs to be spoken only by an AS's eBGP speaking, AKA border,
> routers, and is designed so that it can be used to protect 
> announcements which are originated by resource constrained edge 
> routers." is written in passive language and it is also a long
> sentence.

-15 has

   BGPsec needs to be spoken only by an AS's eBGP-speaking border
   routers.  It is designed so that it can be used to protect
   announcements which are originated by resource constrained edge
   routers.  This has special operational considerations, see Section 6.

from wikipedia, the authority for everything :)

    Use of the passive in English varies with writing style and field.
    Some publications' style sheets discourage use of the passive
    voice,[3] while others encourage it.[4] Although some purveyors of
    usage advice, including George Orwell in Politics and the English
    Language and William Strunk, Jr. and E. B. White in The Elements of
    Style, discourage use of the passive in English, its usefulness is
    generally recognized, particularly in cases where the patient is
    more important than the agent,[5] but also in some cases where it is
    desired to emphasize the agent.

randy