Subject: Real DMARC damage

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:01:46 +1200

Am I the only IETF list admin who's had to deal with genuine DMARC damage today?

[email-masked] had four subscriptions suspended for excessive bounces, all caused
by mail from one participant whose sending domain has published a p=reject policy

Bizarrely, one of the subscriptions disabled was @gmane.org. It's a very strange
choice for them to respect p=reject.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:04:10 +0900

> Am I the only IETF list admin who's had to deal with genuine DMARC

when it first came out, a japanese friend took us to the new godzilla
movie.  i had never been to one before.

in a sense, it is not actually about a monster, but rather cultural and
governmental paralysis in dealing with a complex unexpected disaster; a
parable about the bureaucracy's inability to make useful decisions and
actions on how to deal with the aftermath of the tohoku quake.

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 21:13:10 -0400

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 29, 2017, at 5:01 PM, Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

No, we had one on the SecDir list as well.

Kathleen

---

From: Brandon Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 19:10:52 -0700

It sounds like there would be benefit to fixing the mailman to not consider
policy bounces as unsub worthy, at least.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 15:22:06 +1200

> policy bounces as unsub worthy, at least.

Possibly. For now I've increased the bounce threshold on the list, but
that is hardly a solution. (It isn't an unsub, just delivery suspension,
but that's still a problem for all concerned - sender, subscriber, and
list admin.)

    Brian

---

From: Nick Hilliard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 23:18:51 +0100

> choice for them to respect p=reject.

gmane has been having existential problems over the past while - limited
details on http://home.gmane.org.

Nick

---

From: Shishio Tsuchiya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 11:42:54 +0900

As far as I know,
google.com
microsoft.com
yahoo.com
aol.com
are already p=reject

arista.com is p=quarantine.

I think google.com is one of great contributor of ietf mailing list but 
sometimes old mailing list suspect the mail as spam .
I recovered some mail from my spam folder.
I hope the mailman update to new one.
https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC

Does this mail also suspect spam?

Regards,
-Shishio