Subject: Fwd: Re: [RTG-DIR] extremely rapid reviews/comments on "Effects of Encryption" (draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt)

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 15:01:51 +0100

Alia asked the RTG directorate for there views on 
draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt. 
<%20https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt/>

For the record, here is my reply:

I only have time to scan read this before tomorrow, but I think Alexey 
Melnikov's comment summarises what I gleaned from the document so far: 
"This document is not perfect, but I found it to be generally useful".

This is a subject that we need a more open discussion about in the IETF. 
You would think from the vocal IETF position that the situation was a 
clear cut: monitoring is bad therefore encryption is good. What this 
document is trying to demonstrate is that there are pluses and minuses 
to encryption, just as there are are pluses and minuses to traffic 
monitoring. This document therefore  attempts to moves us to a more 
balanced discussion of the problem, and as such it makes a valuable 
contribution to the design of the Internet.

If at the end of there is no IESG consensus to publish this in the IETF 
stream, I think it should be taken to the Independent stream the purpose 
of which is to provide a platform to articulate well thought out 
technical views that are contra to the mainstream position.

- Stewart