Subject: Re: IAD retirement

From: Lars-Johan Liman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 07:48:58 +0200

Ray,

Thank you very much for all the time and efforts you've spent on making
sure that we could continue to work without having to give a single
thought to how and why there was always the right resources provided at
the right moment. I've taken part in organizing medium sized conferences
once or twice, and that was enough to make me say "never again!", and
you (and your excellent staff!) have done it for full-sized meetings for
12(!) years. It is time for us to "release" you, and bow in respect. It's
been pure pleasure to be on the receiving end of your efforts.

All the best for your future, and a million thanks for what you've done
for us!

				Warm regards,
				  /Liman, IETF:er since 1993
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Lars-Johan Liman, M.Sc.               !  E-mail: [email-masked]
# Senior Systems Specialist             !  Tel: +46 8 - 562 860 12
# Netnod Internet Exchange, Stockholm   !  http://www.netnod.se/
#----------------------------------------------------------------------

[email-masked]:
> All,

> By now, you will have seen Ray Pelletier’s announcement that he is
> retiring as our IETF Administrative Director, effective October 31,
> 2017.

> The IAOC would like to thank Ray for his 12+ years of dedicated
> service in the role of IAD, as we collectively built and fine tuned
> the IETF Administrative Support Activity established in 2005. We wish
> Ray all the best in his retirement!

> Though the IAOC is mindful that the IASA 2.0 discussion may impact the
> shape of the role going forward, we are also concerned with the smooth
> functioning of the IETF's administration now.  We are therefore
> working to bring in staff before Ray retires in order to support that
> immediate need.

> Leslie, 
> for the IAOC.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 13:29:47 +0700

hi leslie,

> We are therefore working to bring in staff before Ray retires in order
> to support that immediate need.

could you be more specific?  i.e. bring staff 'in' in the sense of the
current isoc/ietf iad relationship?

randy

---

From: "Leslie Daigle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 09:18:35 -0400

Hi,

Sorry that bit was particularly opaque.

We will be hiring someone.  What’s not yet clear is whether it will be 
best to hire one person for everything, whether it will be an interim 
position or permanent.  Given that there are IASA2.0 discussions 
underway, it’s not absolutely clear that trying to replicate Ray (as 
if that were possible!) would be the right choice.

Leslie.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises LLC
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 21:54:56 +0700

>> could you be more specific?  i.e. bring staff 'in' in the sense of
>> the current isoc/ietf iad relationship?
> We will be hiring someone.

who is the we?  isoc, the ietf, or some other body?

sorry to be opaque myself.  is the ietf leaving all the logistics,
administrivia, and the money on the other side of the river, or is it
going to form an administration which employs folk?

randy

---

From: "Leslie Daigle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:25:15 -0400

Hi,

Unless IASA2.0 moves along much more quickly than most IETF things, by 
the time Ray retires, it will still be ISOC doing the employment.  It 
will still be the IAOC (subcommittee) doing the search and selection.

What things look like a year (or more) from now is up for IASA2.0 to 
sort out.

Leslie.

--

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 22:27:24 +0700

evenin' leslie,

> will still be the IAOC (subcommittee) doing the search and selection.

that answers my question spot on, and allay's my worries.  thanks.

randy

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 09:27:05 -0700

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 8:27 AM, Randy Bush <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> evenin' leslie,
> 

Same for me.

Bob