Subject: Updated Call for Participation, Workshop on Internet naming systems

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 15:52:21 +0200

When the IAB issued the initial call for participation for the upcoming 
ENAME workshop, several folks pointed out conflicts for potential 
attendees on the proposed dates. Among the conflicts were meetings of 
the DNS Operations, Analysis, and Research Center (OARC),  ISO's 
technical committee on coded character sets (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2),  and the 
Information-Centric Networking Research Group (ICNRG).  After 
considering these conflicts and others for the times near the original 
dates, the IAB has decided to change the dates to October 10th and 11th. 
Microsoft has kindly offered a venue in Vancouver, British Columbia  for 
these dates.

Note that the new dates immediately follow both Canadian Thanksgiving 
and the U.S. Columbus Day holiday.  While this represents a different 
conflict problem, the IAB has agreed that the overlap with OARC, ICNRG, 
SC2, and the related meetings were serious enough to accept the 
trade-off.  In order to minimize the impact of holiday travel to the 
extent possible, we intend for the workshop to be a half-day on the 10th 
and a full day on the 11th.

The updated call for participation is below.

regards,

Ted Hardie

for the IAB

Call for Participation

IAB workshop on Explicit Internet Naming Systems

Internet namespaces relyon Internet connected systems sharing a common 
set of assumptions on the scope, method of resolution, and uniqueness of 
the names.    That set of assumption allowed the creation of URIs and 
other systems which presumed that you could authoritatively identify a 
service using an Internet name, a service port, and a set of 
locally-significant path elements.

There are now multiple challenges to maintaining that commonality of 
understanding.

  * Some naming systems wish to use URIs to identify both a service and
    the method of resolution used to map the name to a serving node. 
    Because there is no common facility for varying the resolution
    method in the URI structure, those naming systems must either mint
    new URI schemes for each resolution service or infer the resolution
    method from a reserved name or pattern.  Both methods are currently
    difficult and costly, and the effort thus scales poorly.
  * Users’ intentions to refer to specific names are now often expressed
    in voice input, gestures, and other methods which must be
    interpreted before being put into practice.  The systems which carry
    on that interpretation often infer which intent a user is
    expressing, and thus what name is meant, by contextual elements. 
    Those systems are linked to existing systems who have no access to
    that context and which may thus return results or create security
    expectations for an unintended name.

  * Unicode allows for both combining characters and composed characters
    when local language communities have different practices. When these
    do not have a single normalization, context is required to determine
    which to produce or assume in resolution.  How can this context be
    maintained in Internet systems?

While any of these challenges could easily be the topic of a stand-alone 
effort, this workshop seeks to explore whether there is a common set of 
root problems in the explicitness of the resolution context, heuristic 
derivation of intent, or language matching.   If so, it seeks to 
identify promising areas for the development of new, more explicit 
naming systems for the Internet.

We invite position papers on this topic to be submitted by July 28, 2017 
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.    Decisions on accepted 
submissions will be made by August 11, 2017.

Proposed dates for the workshop are October 10th and 11th, 2017 and the 
proposed location is Vancouver, British Columbia.  Further logistics 
will be provided to selected participants.

Ted Hardie

for the IAB

---

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 10:14:16 -0700

Given the change in date for this workshop, a number of potential 
participants asked if the deadline could be extended.  In order to 
facilitate the broadest possible participation, the IAB has agreed.  
Position papers will now be accepted until August 11, 2017.  The program 
committee will notify accepted participants as soon as possible after 
that, in order to allow for travel arrangements to be made.

A copy of the solicitation and the announcement of the updated dates is 
appended below for your reference.

regards,

Ted Hardie

for the IAB

> When the IAB issued the initial call for participation for the 
> upcoming ENAME workshop, several folks pointed out conflicts for 
> potential attendees on the proposed dates. Among the conflicts were 
> meetings of the DNS Operations, Analysis, and Research Center (OARC),  
> ISO's technical committee on coded character sets (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2),  
> and the Information-Centric Networking Research Group (ICNRG).  After 
> dates, the IAB has decided to change the dates to October 10th and 
> 11th.  Microsoft has kindly offered a venue in Vancouver, British 
> Columbia  for these dates.
>
>
> conflict problem, the IAB has agreed that the overlap with OARC, 
> ICNRG, SC2, and the related meetings were serious enough to accept the 
> extent possible, we intend for the workshop to be a half-day on the 
> 10th and a full day on the 11th.
>
>
> set of assumptions on the scope, method of resolution, and uniqueness 
> of the names.    That set of assumption allowed the creation of URIs 
> and other systems which presumed that you could authoritatively 
> identify a service using an Internet name, a service port, and a set 
> of locally-significant path elements.
>
>   * Some naming systems wish to use URIs to identify both a service
>     and the method of resolution used to map the name to a serving
>     node.  Because there is no common facility for varying the
>     resolution method in the URI structure, those naming systems must
>     either mint new URI schemes for each resolution service or infer
>     the resolution method from a reserved name or pattern.  Both
>     methods are currently difficult and costly, and the effort thus
>     scales poorly.
>   * Users’ intentions to refer to specific names are now often
>     expressed in voice input, gestures, and other methods which must
>     be interpreted before being put into practice.  The systems which
>     carry on that interpretation often infer which intent a user is
>   * Unicode allows for both combining characters and composed
>     characters when local language communities have different
>     practices. When these do not have a single normalization, context
>     is required to determine which to produce or assume in
>     resolution.  How can this context be maintained in Internet systems?
>
> While any of these challenges could easily be the topic of a 
> stand-alone effort, this workshop seeks to explore whether there is a 
> common set of root problems in the explicitness of the resolution 
> context, heuristic derivation of intent, or language matching.   If 
> so, it seeks to identify promising areas for the development of new, 
> more explicit naming systems for the Internet.
>
> We invite position papers on this topic to be submitted by July 28, 
> 2017 [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.    Decisions on accepted 
> Proposed dates for the workshop are October 10th and 11th, 2017 and 
> the proposed location is Vancouver, British Columbia.  Further 
> logistics will be provided to selected participants.
>
> Ted Hardie
>
> for the IAB
>
>