Subject: Re: Call for Participation, Workshop on Internet naming systems

From: Petr Špaček <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 15:40:06 +0200

Hello,

beside other things, the proposed dates collide with DNS OARC 27
https://indico.dns-oarc.net/event/27/

Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC

On 29.6.2017 21:48, Börje Ohlman wrote:
> Dear All,
> 
> The topic of this IAB workshop is very closely related to the research
> area Information-centric Networking (ICN) which is addresses by the IRTF
> ICNRG. We therefore think it is very unfortunate that the proposed dates
> coincide with the major conference in the ICN field, ACM ICN-2017 which
> takes place in Berlin, Germany September 26-28,
> 2017, http://conferences2.sigcomm.org/acm-icn/2017/
> We are also planning an ICNRG interim meeting in Berlin September 29,
> 2017, as a followup to the
> conference, https://trac.ietf.org/trac/irtf/wiki/icnrg
> We would therefore ask you to consider some alternative dates for this
> IAB workshop.
> 
> Best regards,
> Dirk, Dave & Börje (IRTF ICNRG co-chairs)
> 
>> On 22 Jun 2017, at 22:53, IAB Chair <[email-masked]
>> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>>
>> Call for Participation
>> IAB workshop on Explicit Internet Naming Systems
>>
>> Internet namespaces rely on Internet connected systems sharing a
>> common set of assumptions on the scope, method of resolution, and
>> uniqueness of the names.    That set of assumption allowed the
>> creation of URIs and other systems which presumed that you could
>> authoritatively identify a service using an Internet name, a service
>> port, and a set of locally-significant path elements.  
>>
>> There are now multiple challenges to maintaining that commonality of
>> understanding.  
>>
>>   * Some naming systems wish to use URIs to identify both a service
>>     and the method of resolution used to map the name to a serving
>>     node.  Because there is no common facility for varying the
>>     resolution method in the URI structure, those naming systems must
>>     either mint new URI schemes for each resolution service or infer
>>     the resolution method from a reserved name or pattern.  Both
>>     methods are currently difficult and costly, and the effort thus
>>     scales poorly.
>>   * Users’ intentions to refer to specific names are now often
>>     expressed in voice input, gestures, and other methods which must
>>     be interpreted before being put into practice.  The systems which
>>     carry on that interpretation often infer which intent a user is
>>     expressing, and thus what name is meant, by contextual elements.
>>      Those systems are linked to existing systems who have no access
>>     to that context and which may thus return results or create
>>     security expectations for an unintended name.
>>
>>   * Unicode allows for both combining characters and composed
>>     characters when local language communities have different
>>     practices.  When these do not have a single normalization, context
>>     is required to determine which to produce or assume in resolution.
>>      How can this context be maintained in Internet systems?
>>
>> While any of these challenges could easily be the topic of a
>> stand-alone effort, this workshop seeks to explore whether there is a
>> common set of root problems in the explicitness of the resolution
>> context, heuristic derivation of intent, or language matching.   If
>> so, it seeks to identify promising areas for the development of new,
>> more explicit naming systems for the Internet.
>>
>> We invite position papers on this topic to be submitted by July 28,
>> 2017 to [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>.    Decisions on accepted
>> submissions will be made by August 11, 2017.
>>
>> Proposed dates for the workshop are September 28th and 29th, 2017 and
>> the proposed location is in the Pacific North West of North America.
>>  Finalized logistics will be announced prior to the deadline for
>> submissions.
>>
>> Ted Hardie
>> for the IAB