Subject: Announcement on IETF 100 Hotel Reservations

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 10:21:57 -0700

Hello IETFers,

We are happy to see the excitement from the community for IETF 100 in November! At this point, there are sold out dates at both the Swissotel and Fairmont. The Fairmont has no available room nights on November 9th, 10th and 18th, and the Swissotel fully booked on November 10th, 11th and 17th. We are working to add room nights on these dates as soon as possible. Because of the time zone difference there may be a delay in adding room nights to these dates. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any further questions or concerns please contact [email-masked]. We will update the community as soon as we can. Please also reference the IETF 100 hotels page https://www.ietf.org/meeting/100/hotel.html for information regarding our overflow hotels.

Best Regards,
IETF Secretariat

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 10:47:20 -0700

Thanks.

I was able to find a room at the Fairmont by trimming my dates on both ends.  My flight arrives a little after midnight, I had hoped to get a room for the night before to not have to wait until 3pm checkin.  However, I note that there are transit hotels in the airport, this might make sense to get some sleep after I arrive.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Bob

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 10:21 AM, IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello IETFers,
>

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 14:32:34 -0400

On 7/26/2017 1:47 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:
> I had hoped to get a room for the night before to not have to wait until 3pm checkin.  However, I note that there are transit hotels in the airport, this might make sense to get some sleep after I arrive.

Try this  maybe: 
http://www.changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attractions-and-services/pay-per-use-lounges.html 
- the T3 Haven lounge

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 11:47:39 -0700 (PDT)

As a relatively frequent visitor to Singapore, let me just add:

* There are LOTS of hotels in town, you can most likely find one in 
  your favorite price range and hotel group. Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott,
  Intercontinental, etc, all can be found in Singapore.

* Singapore has a very comprehensive public transport system:

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/public-transport/mrt-and-lrt-trains/train-system-map.html

* If you arrive very late and you are tired, I'd recommend taking a 
  taxi to your hotel. The rates are not very high compared to many 
  places in the world, even at the "night tariff."

* The ride from Changi to the center of Singapore takes about 20 
  minutes.

* It is always hot and humid in Singapore, see:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/singapore/averages/

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Office:  +1 415-550-9433
Cell:    +1 415-370-4628
Docomo:  090 3337-9311
Web: protocoljournal.org
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 12:24:48 +0900

> I note that there are transit hotels in the airport, this might make
> sense to get some sleep after I arrive.

i have used the changi transit hotels a fair bit.  they're functional.
be sure to visit the butterfly garden!

randy

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:27:45 -0400

As someone who travels regularly to Singapore for my employer, I agree 
with everything Ole says.  And the public transit system is staffed by 
super helpful folks who can assist in navigating the fare system. (just 
don't hold hands on the metro - I saw young couples scolded for such 
handholding).

I've never been hassled for any of the things I've brought in - 
medicine, electronics, and even gum.

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:43:17 -0400

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:27:45AM -0400, Tim Wicinski wrote:
 
> I've never been hassled for any of the things I've brought in - medicine,
> electronics, and even gum.

I haven't visited as often as either of you, I think, but I also found
the entry to be mostly painless.  At the same time, however, I think
we need to be quite careful in what we are saying.  We are encroaching
again on the same controversy that caused difficulty when the site was
announced.

There are two ways to evaluate risk in respect of a jurisdiction's
rules.  One is to take the literal text of the rules and assume that
those rules are in effect.  The other is to attend to what mostly
happens in the jurisdiction under normal circumstances, and treat that
as the actual, practical risk in the jurisdiction.

The second approach has the natural appeal that it is pragmatic, and I
am prepared to believe that most of the people involved in this sort
of travel make that kind of judgement all the time.

But the problem with it for an organization like ours that is
travelling _en masse_ to a location is that the rules remain in place.
They are therefore available to be imposed on any individual if
circumstances emerge such that authorities would like to do that.
That Singaporeans are themselves apparently mostly disinclined to
enforce many of the official rules capriciously is certainly good news
(I can think of one country we travelled to in the recent past where
that appears not to be the case).

Circumstances change in countries, sometimes in surprising ways.
Therefore, IETF participants who are going to attend IETF 100 should
be aware that the rules are strict and published.  Each traveller
should weigh the reports of non-enforcement against the risk that the
rule could be enforced in one's own case.

Best regards,

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 14:44:40 +0000

It's very close to the equator - about 1.3 degrees N latitude

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 13:02:41 -0500

Thanks to all who are posting in this thread.

I haven't been to Singapore previously, so have questions, and I'm seeing a
lot of answers I expected to have to dig for (hoping they would be in the
wiki, but bracing myself for Le Google).

Spencer

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 14:30:33 -0400

> wiki, but bracing myself for Le Google).

My few tips:
1: Bring a number of cooling / wicking t-shirts -- I like the " 32
Degrees Cool" ones - Costco generally has a 2 pack for $9.99 (this is
only helpful if you live in the USA and have a costco membership :-P
). I'd go for a walk outside, and then rinse it in the shower. They
dry quickly and a then fine for going out later in the day.

2: Bring a sun hat

3: Drink lots of water!

4: When I first travelled to Singapore (and was jetlagged!) I was
surprised how many people made very straight queues to cross the road
-- and then I figured out that they were actually just standing in the
shade of the lamppost :-)

5: In spite of the heat / humidity (and my built in insulation!),
Singapore is one of my favorite places -- from the hotel it is an easy
walk to a number of different areas, including Little India, Chinatown
and Arab Street.
There is a large variety of architectures, many sights, lots of
interesting food, etc. Prices are reasonable, I've never felt unsafe,
everyone is pleasant, etc. As with anywhere, try to be respectful of
cultural norms and you'll have a great time.
Oh, the hotel complex is over a mall
(http://www.rafflescity.com.sg/store-guide/) with some great food
court offerings, including a Din Tai Fung
(http://www.dintaifung.com.sg/) -- when I was there for an ICANN
meeting I ate there ~12 times in 9 days :-)

W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 07:14:51 +0900

hint: there are only two words you need to know, "hawkers' markets."

we should all register so we can move off the ietf list and to the
attendees' list.

randy

---

From: Suzanne Woolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 21:02:34 -0400

> On Jul 28, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  At the same time, however, I think
> …..

+1.  I’ve been to Singapore multiple times, I’ve never had a problem, and I’ve always planned according to the published guidelines.

Suzanne