Subject: Genart telechat review of draft-turner-est-extensions-08

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 15:15:31 -0700

Reviewer: Vijay Gurbani
Review result: Ready with Nits

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair. Please wait for direction from your
document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

For more information, please see the FAQ at

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-turner-est-extensions-??
Reviewer: Vijay Gurbani
Review Date: 2017-07-10
IETF LC End Date: 2017-07-11
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Summary: Ready with nits.

Major issues: 0

Minor issues: 1

Nits/editorial comments: 2

Minor:
- S2, I understand that a PAL may be represented as a XML file or a JSON
 object, but I note that the underlying semantic content of the resource,
 irrespective of representation as shown in Sections 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 is
 different.  I suspect that is by design, but could not figure out why the
 XML and JSON resource would have different semantic content.

Nits:
- S1, top of page 5: What is TA?  The expansion is not defined before being
 used here for the first time; I suspect it is "Trust Anchor", but may help
 to expand it here rather than in S7.

- S1.1, "air gap" --- I understand what it means from rfc4949, but someone
 not familiar (or too lazy to look up rfc4949 or simply much too younger than
 us) may assume that "air gap" refers to "wifi".  Admittedly in 2007 when
 rfc4949 was written, 802.11{g,e,n} were just released [1], and only three
 years before, in 2004, Economist predicted that the worldwide market for WiFi
 devices in 2006 will be 50 million (!) [2].

 I don't know that we can do much here, but it was with some chuckle that
 the term "air gap" lead me to the statistics I mention above.

[1] http://www.ucopia.com/en/news/history-of-wi-fi/
[2] http://www.economist.com/node/2724397

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 14:56:17 +0200

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 00:15, Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Reviewer: Vijay Gurbani

s2.1.2 is XML schema.  There’s no schema in JSON so that’s why there a little different.

> to expand it here rather than in S7.

TA = Trust Anchor - it’s expanded on p4 in the /crls bullet. ;)

> the term "air gap" lead me to the statistics I mention above.

Yeah I wondered whether people would know what that was, but I could put in an reference reference to 4949 to make sure people know what I mean.

spt