Subject: Good call to change venues

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:30:30 +0200

The IAOC made a really good call to change venues from San Francisco
(not that it makes me happy- I love visiting SF).

Mexican teacher barred from traveling to US to collect Internet Society
award

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/16/mexican-teacher-barred-from-traveling-to-us-to-collect-internet-society-award

---

From: Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 09:42:18 -0400

Agreed.

Three of the 25 awardees were unable to get visas to receive their awards
[1]. Makes me wonder why ISOC chose to hold the event in the U.S.  If it
was to call attention to these issues, good. If it was because they didn’t
realize the problems, then I hope they’ve learned a valuable lesson and
will publicize it for others’ benefit.

Lee

[1] "Three of the awardees have not been granted visas to enter the United
States.” https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2017/09/keeping-door-open/

On 9/17/17, 9:30 AM, "ietf on behalf of Eliot Lear" <[email-masked]
on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/16/mexican-teacher-barred-from-
>traveling-to-us-to-collect-internet-society-award
>
>

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 08:49:08 -0700

I believe the choice of venue had to do with wanting to meet at
the “origins of the Internet (ARPANET)” at UCLA where IMP 1 is
on display.

Ole

> On 17 Sep 2017, at 06:42, Lee Howard <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Agreed.
> 

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Office: +1 415-550-9433
Cell:   +1 415-370-4628
Web: protocoljournal.org
E-mail: [email-masked]
E-mail: [email-masked]
Skype: organdemo

---

From: "Olaf Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 19:47:46 +0200

That is correct , Ole, LA was chosen, among for a number of reasons, including its archeologic significance to the early history of the Internet.

—Olaf

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Sep 2017 10:44:14 -0000

>That is correct , Ole, LA was chosen, among for a number of reasons, including its archeologic significance to the early

Right.  I happen to be at the event now and have talked to some of the
people who arranged it.  They tell me that visas are always a problem
no matter where you have an event and while these are unfortunate,
they're about what they'd expect for a group of this size.

I expect it didn't help that many of the awardees had never travelled
outside their home countries before.

R's,
John

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:23:45 +0200

Is it just me or is it actually difficult to find any public disclosures of
IETF/IAOC about any of this ?

In other words: Its one thing to try to internally deal as good as possible
with the situation (and it seems IAOC is on top of that), but its IMHO
equally important to publically make the situation known - if one wants
to have any chance to impact change.

And i can not find anything easily on an IETF or IAOC or ISOC webpage
anything about this. Neither about San Francisco nor what happen(s/ed)
with LA.

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 11:28:03 -0700 (PDT)

Toerless,

An detailed announcement about the San Francisco to Montreal move was
posted to the IETF list by the IAOC Chair several months back.

The LA event is a combination of ISOC celebrating its 25th anniversary
and announcing a new set of Internet Hall of Fame inductees. The 
announcements about that process have been on ISOC's website for at
least a year.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
Docomo:  090 3337-9311

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:50:05 -0400

Furthermore ISOC published this blog:

https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2017/09/keeping-door-open/

Ray

> On Sep 18, 2017, at 2:28 PM, Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Toerless,
>

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 22:30:16 +0200

Thanks, Ray! Difficult to find, but at least something easily propagated.

Too bad the blog does not allow to comment, or else would have have looked up some URL
for the San Francisco IAOC message Ole mentioned and appended it as a comment.  Aka:
no single place to quickly see the overall impact of the visa policies of the USA to
our operations and membrreship overall. Thats what i would like to exist.

Cheers
    Toerless