Subject: ISOC Charity EMail

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 11:21:06 -0500

Hi -

This morning I received a donation solicitation from ISOC entitled "Help 
connect the world".  What was interesting about it - from an IETF point 
of view - was that we were nowhere mentioned.  I got curious and clicked 
through (after checking the URL) to the donation page.  There we were 
mentioned in two words - "smart standards" in the FAQ about how the 
money will be spent.

AFAICT, I'm on the solicitation mailing list because of my donation to 
the IETF trust a while back.  If that's the case, I'm somewhat bothered 
that that list has been co-opted to be used as an ISOC source of 
potential donors.  I wouldn't mind so much if the IETF were prominently 
mentioned, or if the donations could be designated for the IETF but 
neither of these seem to be the case.

We've got another thread on the ISOC mission statement where the lack of 
a specific mention of the IETF in said mission statement has been noted.

These are disturbing trends.

Mike