Subject: CEO Succession at ISOC

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 09:47:53 +0200

Hi,

you will by now have heard that Kathy Brown, ISOC's CEO, has informed
the board that she will not seek another extension of her contract,
which will end at the end of 2018.

Before I discuss the search and selection process ahead of us, on
behalf of the whole board I want to express our gratitude to Kathy for
the strong leadership and commitment she has shown in taking ISOC
forward. Kathy has worked tirelessly in the interests of the
organization, always putting her job before herself. The changes she
has brought about have been both deep and wide-ranging, and she has
succeeded in readying the organization for the many challenges and
opportunities that lie ahead.

While the board would have been happy for Kathy to continue as CEO for
a further term, we also understand and respect the decision that she
has taken to dedicate time to her family. When the time comes, I hope
you will all join me in wishing Kathy the very best in her life after
ISOC.

During the process of searching for and selecting a new CEO,
operational continuity in the organization will be a key priority. The
board has just approved the 2018 Action Plan, which provides clear
direction for ISOC for the coming year. The organization will focus on
the execution of the plan during the whole CEO succession process.
Kathy will remain fully engaged and committed to that work until the
conclusion of the process.

As background, we will not be starting the CEO succession process from
scratch.  Last year, the board decided that ISOC needed to have a CEO
Succession Plan in place at all times.  Developing such a plan was one
of the focus areas for the board this year. The material we developed
in that context will naturally be used in the current succession
process.  In addition, Kathy has always taken the development of her
staff very seriously. Since Kathy has worked with her staff to improve
their leadership skills and competences, the board will consider both
external and internal candidates for the CEO position.

The next step for the board is to form a CEO Search Committee.  Based
on the CEO Succession Plan material mentioned earlier, the committee
will develop a time plan, job description, channels to distribute the
call, a process to short-list candidates, all leading to selection of
an excellent new CEO who can take over as Kathy departs. In the mean
time, if you have any input, please let us know by sending an email
to:

  [email-masked]

Emails sent to the address above will be treated as confidential
within the ISOC board.

Cheers,

Gonzalo Camarillo (for the board)
Chair - ISOC Board of Trustees