Subject: EU calls for for a consent-exchange interoperable format

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 19:11:47 +0100

Hi all,

I just noticed today that the EU's General Data Protection Regulation (their
revision of earlier Data Protection Directive) calls for a "structured,
commonly used, machine-readable and interoperable format" to transmit a
subject's consensus from an operator to another.  Let me quote the beginning of
article 68:

    To further strengthen the control over his or her own data, where the
    processing of personal data is carried out by automated means, the data
    subject should also be allowed to receive personal data concerning him or
    her which he or she has provided to a controller in a structured, commonly
    used, machine-readable and interoperable format, and to transmit it to
    another controller. Data controllers should be encouraged to develop
    interoperable formats that enable data portability.
      http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32016R0679

Who should devise and standardize such a format?  Would that deserve a IETF WG?

Ale
-- 
I always wanted a consent-exchange Internet protocol for email users.

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Rex)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 21:11:32 +0100 (CET)

> Who should devise and standardize such a format?  Would that deserve a IETF WG?

And ad hoc solution using RFC20 (plain old ASCII)
should be sufficient to convey the two letters  "NO".

-Martin