Subject: Re: Proposed Photography Policy

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 22:49:13 +0200

Thank you Ted for posting a link to the Ada Initiative blog 
(https://adainitiative.org/2013/07/04/another-way-to-attract-women-to-conferences-photography-policies/). 
I urge participants in this discussion to read it (the first few 
paragraphs at least), in order to understand the problem better and 
empathize with the people being intimidated.

With that in mind, I think the right of people to take photos freely 
during the meeting should be valued lower than the right of people to 
attend, free of any hint of intimidation.

And so I would propose to only allow photography of official functions 
(basically people participating in panels, chairing meetings or 
presenting at meetings), as well as photography by official IETF 
photographers and approved press photographers. People whose photo was 
taken by professional photographs should be allowed to request that 
their photo be deleted after the fact, and such requests should be 
respected.

The idea that people who are intimidated by photography will put a label 
up saying "I am intimidated" seems unreasonable, to say the least.

Thanks,
     Yaron