Subject: Report from the IAB

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 12:08:50 -0700

Dear colleagues,

As is tradition, here is the IAB report to the community about our 
activities, submitted so that you can prepare topics you might want to 
discuss during the upcoming open mic time.  Of course, if you have 
issues you want to discuss by email, feel free to send your comments to 
[email-masked] (our public discussion list) or [email-masked] 
(to reach just the IAB).

The IAB has a few chartered roles. We confirm the appointments to the 
IESG and perform standards process oversight and handle appeals. We also 
perform architectural oversight (including appointing the IRTF Chair), 
we manage the RFC series and the IETF's relationship with IANA, and we 
handle liaisons and appointments both to ISOC and to other 
organizations. We try to ensure that anything we do is part of one of 
these areas of responsibility, and we try to make sure these are all 
covered.

Here's what we've been doing since our last report at IETF 100.  You can 
find mention of each of these on the IAB pages athttps://www.iab.org 
<https://www.iab.org>(where there's more background, too).

First, I’m happy to note that there were no appeals during this period.

As noted in the last report, the IAB appointed Adrian Farrel to the post 
of Independent Series Editor, as a successor to Nevil Brownlee.  The 
appointment took effect in February, and the two have worked together 
during this transition. The IAB thanks Nevil for his work on that, as 
well as for his years of service.

In January, the IAB appointed Tim Wicinski to serve a two-year term on 
the ICANN Technical Liaison Group (TLG). There was a strong field of 
candidates, and the IAB thanks all those willing to serve.  The IAB 
would also like to extend special thanks Warren Kumari for his service 
on the ICANN TLG from 2014-2018.

In November, the IAB solicited candidates for the Internet Society’s 
Board of Trustees.  After a community feedback period, the IAB conducted 
interviews and appointed two Trustees, whom the IESG has since 
confirmed. The Internet Society coordinates this selection with that of 
the other communities making appointments, and the public announcement 
of all appointed Trustees for this cycle will be April 26, 2018.

The IAB is currently reviewing candidates for the post of IETF liaison 
to the ICANN Board of Directors 
<https://www.iab.org/2018/02/07/call-for-nominations-ietf-liaison-to-icann-board-of-directors-2/>. 
While we had anticipated starting the public comment period prior to 
IETF 101, we found that we needed to extend the call for volunteers a 
short amount. We now expect to solicit the review in the week following 
IETF 101.

You can always find the documents the IAB has adopted and is working on 
athttps://datatracker.ietf.org/stream/iab 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/stream/iab>. There are some workshop 
reports still in process: draft-iab-marnew-report-01 is expected to go 
out for community comment early next week; draft-iab-iotsi-workshop-01 
has, unfortunately, been delayed due to illness; and the workshop report 
for ENAME is in preparation.

The IAB organizes its work, for the most part, into programs.  There are 
basically two classes: management programs and architectural programs. 
  The former are how we handle the oversight of various things, and the 
latter are where we do architectural work.  The former are expected to 
last as long as the IAB continues to have that oversight function; the 
latter last until the IAB has come to a conclusion on the relevant group 
of topics or has decided that the topic needs to be reframed.  Programs 
are listed at https://www.iab.org/activities/programs/. As a general 
rule, each architectural program has a public mailing list, as well as a 
member-specific list.  For subscription instructions, see 
https://www.iab.org/iab-mailing-lists/. We review these programs 
periodically.  At IETF 101, we will be reviewing liaison management.

The IAB periodically documents its discussions or conclusions in the 
form of external statements.  Some of those are informal, such as the 
recent blog posting on consolidation 
<https://www.ietf.org/blog/consolidation/>. Others are more formal, and 
the IAB has just made one such statement revisiting the issue raised in 
the IAB Statement on Identifiers and Unicode 7.0.0 
<https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2015-2/iab-statement-on-identifiers-and-unicode-7-0-0/>. 
  The new statement 
<https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2018-2/iab-statement-on-identifiers-and-unicode/>reviews 
the work since the original was posted and asks the designated expert 
for the relevant IANA registry to examine the Unicode versions which 
have been published in the intervening time.  We look forward to 
discussing it with the community at IETF 101.

Lastly, the IAB will be both welcoming Melinda Shore and Christian 
Huitema as new members during IETF 101 and saying goodbye to Joe 
Hildebrand and Lee Howard.  We thank all of them for their willingness 
to serve.

Respectfully submitted,

Ted Hardie

for the IAB