Subject: IAB statement on identifiers and Unicode

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 12:01:40 -0700

Some members of the community may recall that in 2015 the IAB posted 
aStatement on Identifiers and Unicode 7.0.0 
<https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2015-2/iab-statement-on-identifiers-and-unicode-7-0-0/>. 
We have just posted anew statement 
<https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2018-2/iab-statement-on-identifiers-and-unicode/>as 
a follow-up. We encourage the community to review the update, as it 
surveys the related work done since the original was posted.

It also notes that the IAB has asked the designated expert for the 
relevant IANA registry to examine the Unicode versions which have been 
published in the intervening time.  Our reasoning for this is set forth 
in the statement, and we look forward to discussing it with the 
community at IETF 101.

regards,

Ted Hardie

for the IAB

---

From: "Aaron Falk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:40:44 +0000

First time I read the subject line I saw “IAB statement on identifiers 
and Unicorns”,

--aaron

On 15 Mar 2018, at 19:01, Ted Hardie wrote:

> published in the intervening time.  Our reasoning for this is set 
> forth in the statement, and we look forward to discussing it with the 
> community at IETF 101.
>
> regards,
>
> Ted Hardie
>
> for the IAB

---

From: Mark Davis ☕️ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 15:33:22 +0100

Nice statement. One minor note: I see a spurious paragraph break after
"has" in the following.

But no consensus has

emerged. It now seems clear that the existence of such characters predates
Unicode 7, and that the issue is inherent in different assumptions about
context between Unicode and IDNA2008.

Mark

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 8:01 PM, Ted Hardie <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Some members of the community may recall that in 2015 the IAB posted a Statement
> on Identifiers and Unicode 7.0.0
> We have just posted a new statement
> <https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2018-2/iab-statement-on-identifiers-and-unicode/>
> as a follow-up. We encourage the community to review the update, as it
> published in the intervening time.  Our reasoning for this is set forth in
> the statement, and we look forward to discussing it with the community at
> IETF 101.
>
> regards,
>
> Ted Hardie
>
> for the IAB
>