Subject: Photography policy followup

From: Ombudsteam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 15:58:11 +0000

Given some email we've received over the last few weeks, we on the 
Ombudsteam wanted to make a couple of clarifications regarding our 
thoughts on the Photography Policy:

- It seems to us that having a visual way for people to indicate that 
they do not wish to be photographed is very useful. It avoids 
potentially confrontational encounters when someone is uncomfortable 
having their photograph taken, and it gives photographers a clear signal 
about those preferences. We said as much to the IESG when we were asked 
about the potential policy.

- Having such a policy or set of guidelines has never been necessary for 
the Ombudsteam to perform our duty. Someone can certainly be harassing 
in their picture taking, with or without this policy, and we have always 
been willing and able to take a report of such an incident and act on 
it. Since this policy makes communication between participants a bit 
more clear and straightforward, it can make resolving problems a bit 
easier for us, but it is certainly not something that we needed or 
requested.

We hope that helps everyone understand our position.

Allison, Linda, and Pete