Subject: [IETFMIBS] MIB implementation

From: Guo Peter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 05:19:19 +0000

Hello,

I am a developer for Grass Valley. Our registration for SNMP is  1.3.6.1.4.1.4947. I have a customer want to inquire about the MAC address of our device. He is trying to get the Physical address of the hardware using Get Request for the 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.6 and return nothing. Please see the screen capture and comments below. So my question is as a third party vendor we are normally only implementing MIB version 1(or MIB version 2) under our enterprise 1.3.6.1.4.1.4947 tree. So I don't see the iPhyAddress in our tree. So how should implement this for our customer? Or is the our responsibility to do? And is this field a mandatory field we had to implement? Where and how should I do that?

Regards, Peter Guo

Grass Valley Inc.

"Here is what I have found so far - The SNMP configured devices are not replying to the SNMP-Get request for Mib 2 Interfaces. This is necessary for proper identification of connectivity. Spectrum uses the MAC address and compares it with the Switch ARP table to define where the device is connected. If the device is not responding to this OID request, Spectrum has no way to map it to the switch. This hinders fault isolation and troubleshooting. I have attached the results of a MIB 2 query. The device reports no results.  I would look to the engineering folks to see why the device does not respond to a MIB 2 query."

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 09:43:21 +0100

Hi,

you seem to have fairly basic questions related to the usage of SNMP
and I am not sure this is the right place to get help. But anyway, if
your device has network interfaces (very likely ;-), you should
implement the IF-MIB. This MIB module defines among other things the
OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.6. And note, you implement standard MIB objects
under the OID they are registered; no need to copy stuff into your
enterprise branch. Interoperability rests on the idea that everybody
implementing a standard MIB module like say the IF-MIB does it with
the same OIDs so that management applications can work with different
devices.

/js

> _______________________________________________
> IETFMIBS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietfmibs

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Guo Peter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:30:40 +0000

Thanks JS. I think I got my answers now. 
Regards, Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:43 AM
To: Guo Peter
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [IETFMIBS] MIB implementation

Hi,

you seem to have fairly basic questions related to the usage of SNMP and I am not sure this is the right place to get help. But anyway, if your device has network interfaces (very likely ;-), you should implement the IF-MIB. This MIB module defines among other things the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.6. And note, you implement standard MIB objects under the OID they are registered; no need to copy stuff into your enterprise branch. Interoperability rests on the idea that everybody implementing a standard MIB module like say the IF-MIB does it with the same OIDs so that management applications can work with different devices.

/js

---

From: "Rohit M (rrohit)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 03:20:31 +0000

Hi Guo,

Vendor should be implementing standards MIBs such as IF-MIB, Entity MIB and Vendor specific MIBs.   Most of the NMS tool does rely on IF-MIB to get interface specific info.  Hence you should support the IF-MIB and that will get this info to  the NMS tool.

Regards
Rohit

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Guo Peter
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IETFMIBS] MIB implementation

Hello,

Regards, Peter Guo

Grass Valley Inc.