Subject: resubmit

From: "Ted Brunner 503.627.1317" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 14:30:16 -0700

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue,  9 Jun 98 11:55:30 pdt
From: David Perkins <[email-masked]>
Subject: IF MIB advancement
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Chameleon V0.05, TCP/IP for Windows, NetManage Inc.
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

Ted,

In the surveys that have been done for implementation of the IF MIB,
do you have a list of the interface types that have been implemented
and the interpretation of what is included in the octet counts?
(There were 137 different types of interfaces when I checked in
april.)

I sent out a message a few weeks back on the IF MIB and RMON MIB WG
mailing lists asking what was included in the octet counts for ethernet
and token ring and got back different answers. 

Also, there was a desire to be able to compute interface utilization.
To do this one needs to know if the network type is half or full
duplex. A solution for ethernet network types is the MAU MIB specifies
this information. 

There are currently full duplex token ring implementations. There is no
standards-track MIB module that indicates what mode a token ring interface
is operating in. Also, there are interfaces that are full duplex and have
different speeds for each direction. I haven't surveyed what has been done
to cope with this. It would be preferable that all such interfaces
took the same approach to specifying the two speeds.
 
So, I think that there is a little more work (which I think may be
just instructions to interface MIB authors) that needs to be included
when the IF MIB document is split.

Regards,
/[email-masked], David T. Perkins
Date: 06/09/98, Time: 11:55:30

------- End of Forwarded Message