Subject: Protocol Action: The Interfaces Group MIB to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 17:15:17 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft "The Interfaces Group MIB" 
  <draft-ietf-ifmib-mib-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard. This document is the 
  product of the Interfaces MIB Working Group and replaces RFC1573. The IESG
  contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

This document defines a portion of the Management Information Base
(MIB) used for managing Network Interfaces.  In particular, it
describes the 'interfaces' group of MIB-II, incorporating the
experience gained from the definition of numerous media-specific MIB
modules used in conjunction with the 'interfaces' group for managing
sub-layers beneath the internetwork-layer.  It specifies
clarifications to, and extensions to the Interfaces MIB documented in
RFC 1573.

Working Group Summary

The WG originally requested that the document be advanced to Draft
status (it was Last Called for Draft), but questions were raised as
to whether the document had met the requirements for being advanced
to Draft Standard. Subsequent discussions with the WG led to the
decision to recycle the document at Proposed Standard, with the
intention of advancing it to Draft in six months.

Protocol Quality

This document was reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.

Note to rfc-editor: there is a "changes to previous version" section that
should be removed from the document before it is published as an RFC.

---

From: Ted Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:01:00 -0800

On Nov 12 the IESG approved the promotion of our if-mib draft
to proposed standard.  In 6 months time this mib will be
eligable for promotion to draft standard.  The working group
has said it would like to do that asap.  So May 12 is our
target date.  MARK YOUR CALENDARS.

To actually hit that date requires some preliminary work.
Somewhere in the middle of march we will need to assemble
a list of implementors.  Every object must have 2 implementors.

These days I am concerned about 64 bit counters.
They are in the mib, they are hard to do, and I don't know of
any shipping implementations.

If you have any info or ideas that might help us out, speak up.

Ted Brunner		Video and Networking Division
			Tektronix
			MS 50-490
[email-masked]	14150 SW Karl Braun
503.627.1317		Beaverton OR 97005