Subject: resend "Christopher A. Buia": RFC2233 and ifAlias

From: "Ted Brunner 503.627.1317" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:55:19 -0800

Resending.  I think this one didn't go out properly...

-----------
I am pleased to see that RFC2233 has been created to deal with many of
the known shortcomings in the current ifTable.  I am especially
interested in the new ifAlias mib object.  I have read that it is
considered to be the "interface handle":

>Editor's proposal that ifAlias become "the if handle"
>  -NMS puts handle there
>  -stays with the if
>  -persistant across reboots
>  -have limit on memory usage
> Policy issue: what is persistant across reboots/hot-swaps
> Note- The Cisco Summit yielded "no solution"

I agree that the ifAlias must be reserved for use by the NMS.  This
would be a very useful way to accurately keep track of which interfaces
get added/removed/re-indexed, etc.

Chris

------- End of Forwarded Message