Subject: [ifmib] Configuration of an IP address

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 11:21:45 +0200

Hello everybody,

we would like to ask a clarification about how it is possible to 
configure the IP address of an interface.

Looking at the IP-MIB (RFC 2011), there is a table that associate to an 
IP address the corresponding interface's ifIndex. Unfortunately, this 
IP address is the index of the table, and the RowStatus is missing.

In the IF-MIB there is no object where we can configure the interface's 
IP address.

Do you have any hint on this topic?

We apologize if this was not the correct mailing list, but we were not 
able to find any other. Please let us know if there is a more 
appropriate mailing list where to address this question.

Thanks in advance,

Pietro Grandi
Italo Busi

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 ----------------------   
 \                    /   Busi Italo
  \                  /    ADM System Group
   \                /     ALCATEL - TSD R&D
    \              /      Via Trento, 30
     \            /       20059 Vimercate (Mi)
      \          /        ITALY
       \        /         
        \      /          E-mail: [email-masked]
         \    /           Tel. +39 039 686.7054
          \  /            Fax. +39 039 686.3590
           \/

-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:08:14 -0700 (PDT)

> In the IF-MIB there is no object where we can configure the interface's 
 
All information in the IF-MIB is below layer-3, and so it would not be
appropriate to have IP-addresses in the IF-MIB.

RFC 2011's ipAddrTable was originally defined in MIB-I (RFC 1066) and
has always been read-only, and there's has never been any strong demand
to provide a read-create capability.  My theory for the lack of such
demand is because configuring IP addresses via SNMP is problematic: if
the system is a host which only has one IP address, then it can't be
configured by SNMP (over UDP/IP) until it already has an IP address: a
chicken-and-egg scenario; even if the system is a router, with an IP
address on each interface, it would not be possible to configure all
of its addresses via SNMP.

Keith.

_______________________________________________
ifmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ifmib