Subject: RE: [ifmib] Configuration of an IP address

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:42:15 +0200

Another hand is up.

We are thinking of using it for network configuration and renumbering.

Regards,  

Pietro and Italo

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: martedì 10 ottobre 2000 11.15
To: [email-masked]; Busi, Italo /itah32
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Grandi, Pietro Vittorio /itah32
Subject: RE: [ifmib] Configuration of an IP address

Just for the seek of statistics ... can we have a 'show of hands' about  
how
many vendors implement extensions in their proprietary MIBs, which  
allow for
SNMP configuration of the IP addresses at least on part of the  
interfaces?

One hand is already up.

Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Keith McCloghrie [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tue October 10 2000 3:08
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [ifmib] Configuration of an IP address
>  
> > we would like to ask a clarification about how it is possible to  
> > configure the IP address of an interface.
> >  
> > Looking at the IP-MIB (RFC 2011), there is a table that associate  
to an  
> > IP address the corresponding interface's ifIndex. Unfortunately,  
this  
> > IP address is the index of the table, and the RowStatus is missing.
> >  
> > In the IF-MIB there is no object where we can configure the  
interface's  
> > IP address.
>   
> All information in the IF-MIB is below layer-3, and so it would not be
> appropriate to have IP-addresses in the IF-MIB.
>  
> RFC 2011's ipAddrTable was originally defined in MIB-I (RFC 1066) and
> has always been read-only, and there's has never been any strong  
demand
> to provide a read-create capability.  My theory for the lack of such
> demand is because configuring IP addresses via SNMP is problematic: if
> the system is a host which only has one IP address, then it can't be
> configured by SNMP (over UDP/IP) until it already has an IP address: a
> chicken-and-egg scenario; even if the system is a router, with an IP
> address on each interface, it would not be possible to configure all
> of its addresses via SNMP.
>  
> Keith.
>  
> _______________________________________________
> ifmib mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ifmib

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:13:04 -0400

> We are thinking of using it for network configuration and renumbering.
Same as my comment before 3 now, and more on the way.  Actually, at Interop
one of the prize winners used it for fairly sophisticated configuration.

/jon