Subject: [ifmib] about LinkUp/LinkDown traps.

From: "snmp2jassi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:38:50 +0530

Hello,

I am implementing rfc2863 and i am having problems in deciding about "Link Up/Down Trap generation" in case of Interface going from up/down state. 

I am presently having ifEntry for PVC's, SVC's, PPP, Gbit, DS3. At present i have implemented only 2 values for ifOperStatus for the interfaces. Please guide me when all do i need to generate Link up/down traps in my case. All the interfaces comes up with a default value of "down". Do i need to generate a LinkDown trap at that time?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Jassi.

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:15:42 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, snmp2jassi (Jassi) wrote:
> Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
>         boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0069_01C16158.F8C3C380"

It would be considerate to turn off the HTML and set line wrap at or
before column 76 when posting to IETF mailing lists.

> I am implementing rfc2863 and i am having problems in deciding about "Link
> Up/Down Trap generation" in case of Interface going from up/down state.
>  
> I am presently having ifEntry for PVC's, SVC's, PPP, Gbit, DS3. At present
> i have implemented only 2 values for ifOperStatus for the interfaces.
> Please guide me when all do i need to generate Link up/down traps in my
> case.  All the interfaces comes up with a default value of "down". Do i
> need to generate a LinkDown trap at that time?

This is covered in RFC 2863 Section 3.1.15, "Traps".  In particular,

   Therefore, this memo defines that LinkUp and linkDown traps are
   generated just after ifOperStatus leaves, or just before it enters,
   the down state, respectively; except that LinkUp and linkDown traps
   are never generated on transitions to/from the notPresent state.  For
   the purpose of deciding when these traps occur, the lowerLayerDown
   state and the down state are considered to be equivalent, i.e., there
   is no trap on transition from lowerLayerDown into down, and there is
   a trap on transition from any other state except down (and
   notPresent) into lowerLayerDown.

Since the trap is sent on the up-to-down transition, no trap is sent at
startup time if the interface is initialized to the down state.

Mike

_______________________________________________
ifmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ifmib