Subject: [ifmib] RcvAddressTable in If-mib.

From: "Jassi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 16:59:31 +0530

Hello,

I am implementing if-mib(rfc 2863) for my router. We have interfaces like Gbit,Atm and DS3. I am getting a little confused about RcvAddressTable. How is it implimented and what should be the enteries in this. Are there any sample RcvAddressTables available on net. ....which could help me understand it in better way. Please help me in this regard.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Jassi.

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 09:55:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Jassi wrote:
> 
> I am implementing if-mib(rfc 2863) for my router. We have interfaces
> like Gbit,Atm and DS3. I am getting a little confused about
> RcvAddressTable. How is it implimented and what should be the enteries
> in this. Are there any sample RcvAddressTables available on net.
> ....which could help me understand it in better way. Please help me in
> this regard.

RFC 2863 states that

      The media-specific MIB designer MUST specify the applicability of
      the ifRcvAddressTable.

Thus, you need to look in RFC 2665 to see what to do with the
ifRcvAddressTable for Gbit Ethernet interfaces, in RFC 2495 for
DS1/E1 interfaces, in RFC 2496 for DS3/E3 interfaces, in RFC 2558
for SONET/SDH interfaces, and in RFC 2515 for ATM interfaces.

RFC 2665 does contain explicit instructions on what to do with
ifRcvAddressTable.

However, ifRcvAddressTable is not mentioned in RFC 2495, RFC 2496,
RFC 2558, or RFC 2515.  From the description below

            "This table contains an entry for each address (broadcast,
            multicast, or uni-cast) for which the system will receive
            packets/frames on a particular interface [ ... ]"

it obviously does not apply to DS1, DS3, or SONET interfaces, since
these interfaces don't deal with packets.   It's not as clear for
ATM interfaces, since those interfaces may deal with signalling
messages;  but I'd say it does not, since ordinary data cells do not
have any well-defined interface address in them.

I'm cc'ing this message to the AToMMIB list, where issues relating
to the DS1, DS3, SONET, and ATM documents are discussed.  May I
suggest to each of the document editors to add an action item to
put in some text saying that ifRcvAddressTable does not apply to
those interfaces?  Please direct follow-up discussion on this issue
to the atommib list.

Regards,

Mike

_______________________________________________
ifmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ifmib