Subject: [EAI] Specify a "use only one of these" address list

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:27:23 -0600

Per the comment I made at the microphone, the feature I was referring to was in
RFC 733, but was deprecated by the time of RFC 822:

> address     =  host-phrase                  ; Machine mailbox
>             / ( [phrase] "<" #address ">")  ; Individual / List
>             / ( [phrase] ":" #address ";")  ; Group
>             /  quoted-string                ; Arbitrary text
>             / (":" ( "Include"              ; File, w/ addr list
>                    / "Postal"               ; (U.S.) Postal addr
>                    /  atom )                ; Extended data type
>                ":" address)
> 

The second line is what I was referring to.

The text describing defining the semantics of this is:

>     An individual may have  several  mailboxes  and  a  group  of
>     individuals  may wish to receive mail as a single unit (i.e.,
>     a distribution list).  The second and third  alternatives  of
>     an  address  list  (#address)  allow  naming  a collection of
>     subordinate  addresses  list(s).   Recipient  mailboxes   are
>     specified  within the bracketed part ("<" - ">" or ":" - ";")
>     of such named lists.  The use of angle-brackets ("<", ">") is
>     intended for the cases of individuals with multiple mailboxes
>     and of special mailbox lists; it is not expected to be nested
>     more  than  one level, although the specification allows such
>     nesting.  The use of colon/semi-colon (":", ";") is  intended
>     for  the  case  of  groups.   Groups  can be expected to nest
>     (i.e., to  contain  subgroups).   For  both  individuals  and
>     groups,  a  copy  of the transmitted message is to be sent to
>     EACH mailbox  listed.   For  the  case  of  a  special  list,
>     treatment of addresses is defined in the relevant subsections
>     of this section.

Note that the semantics, here, say to send to ALL of the addresses in the list.

I believe that the goal for the current should be to direct the use of only ONE
OF the addresseses.

d/

-- 

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
<http://bbiw.net>

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima