Subject: Re: [EAI] Open issues on the EAI documents

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 18:14:46 +0100

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:45:12 +0100, John C Klensin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ---------------------------------
>> 822-headers (Yeh document):
>> Issue: Dave/Chris: Comma in address fields as an alternative
>> to separate parameter?
>
> Can we initiate some specific discussion on this and get it
> settled?  My impression was that we had dropped it due to other
> interactions, but I could easily be confused.

Clearly we need a separator, and clearly nobody particularly likes 'comma'  
even though it is the only obviously "free" character.

May I remind you that I pointed out some time back that '|' (which would  
look much better as the separator) would not be ambiguous *provided* we  
could assume that it would not occur in the domain portion of an address  
(i.e. after the '@'). This is true of any domain allowed by RFC 2821  
(though theoretically it might arise in emails transported by other  
mechanisms - X.400 anybody?). So is it a serious contender for this  
separator?

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 18:14:46 +0100