Subject: Re: [EAI] RCPT TO and ALT-ADDRESS - do we have a consensus?

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:55:06 +0200

Tony Finch wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>
>   
>> As far as I read the Montreal minutes, the WG there decided to abandon the
>> idea of messing with the syntax inside the angle brackets.
>>     
>
> That's true at the 821 level but not the 822 level. That is, the sense of
> the room was that UTF8SMTP should use the existing ESMTP extension
> mechanisms for downgrade metadata (MAIL extension parameters) and not
> change the essential <path> syntax. This should minimize the changes
> necessary for 821 implementations. It does not affect the choice of syntax
> used in message headers etc. which will need some other way to express the
> downgrade metadata.
Thank you - this was not clear from the minutes. Can you suggest 
corrected/clarified text for the minutes?

(I've seen minutes be used 10 years later to determine what was decided 
at a meeting. They're important!)

                 Harald

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:31:27 +0100

> used in message headers etc. which will need some other way to express  

Yes, that makes good sense.

So <utf8@utf8:ascii@ascii>
or maybe <utf8@utf8:downgradeable>

will still appear in various headers, and will become the normal way for  
people to write down their email address on business-cards etc, and in  
Reply-To, and in some extended mailto URL. So users (with UTF8 capability)  
will expect to be able to copy or paste or click it into their MUAs and  
have the MUA figure out what to do with it.

Which was the third scenario I proposed to add to Harald's two.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131                       
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:04:03 +0100

> corrected/clarified text for the minutes?

Are the sentences above not suitable?

Tony.
-- 
f.a.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
FISHER: WEST OR NORTHWEST 4 OR 5 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. FAIR. MODERATE OR
GOOD.