Subject: Name of effort, name of protocol (Re: [EAI] Comments on draft-ietf-eai-downgrade-02)

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 07:18:46 -0800

Charles Lindsey wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:08:25 +0100, <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
>>> From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 20:21:38 +0100
>>>
>>> s/EAI/UTF8SMTP/ throughout the document, including in the title.
>>
>> I'm hesitating EAI or UTF8SMTP.
>> framework document is 'EAI Framework'.
>> Which is this protocol set name, EAI or UTF8SMTP ?
>
> I think some gathering at an IETF agreed that the visible name of our 
> endeavour should have "UTF8" in it, and the provisional choice was 
> "UTF8SMTP" (I would have preferred "UTF8-Headers" myself). I don't 
> think the world out there is going to accept the term "EAI" (they will 
> have enough trouble remembering what it stands for :-( ).
We have been over this ground quite a few times.
 From the framework document, a section with which no issue has been raised:

   The umbrella term to describe the email address internationalization
   specified by this document and its companion documents is "UTF8SMTP".
   For example, an address permitted by this specification is referred
   as a "UTF8SMTP (compliant) address".

The name of the protocol set, which is used wherever we can, is "UTF8SMTP".
This has been the consistent answer ever since the conclusions from the 
EAI interim meeting in Beijing were sent to the list on June 14 of this 
year.

The name of the working group is "EAI". This was chosen, in part, 
because nobody could find a present usage of the term "EAI" that someone 
would violently object to on the basis that it was confusing to have an 
email WG with that acronym.

The name of the framework document is "Overview and Framework for 
Internationalized Email". If you can find the term "EAI" in that string, 
you have better eyes than me.

                        Harald

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima