Subject: [EAI] ISSUE: draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers-07 - message/ subtypes

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:59:54 -0700

Hello,

Section 1.2 of draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers-07 mentions:

   "This document updates section 6.4 of RFC 2045.  It removes the
    blanket ban on applying a content-transfer-encoding to all subtypes
    of message/, and instead specifies that a composite subtype MAY
    specify whether or not a content-transfer-encoding can be used for
    that subtype, with "cannot be used" as the default"

This draft is applicable to SMTP whereas some of the message/ 
subtypes may be used by other mechanisms.  Is there a reason why the 
removal should apply to other transport mechanisms?

Regards,
-sm

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:51:36 +0200

--On 20. september 2007 10:59 -0700 SM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This draft is applicable to SMTP whereas some of the message/ subtypes
> may be used by other mechanisms.  Is there a reason why the removal
> should apply to other transport mechanisms?

Yes. Having different restrictions on a subtype depending on the transport 
mechanism will make moving MIME objects between different transports very 
difficult.

              Harald

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:04:49 -0700

Hi Harald,
At 09:51 21-09-2007, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>Yes. Having different restrictions on a subtype depending on the 
>transport mechanism will make moving MIME objects between different 
>transports very difficult.

That sounds sensible.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:52:35 +0200

This one seems to have been resolved in discussion.