Subject: [EAI] UTF-8 IMAP initial implementation

From: "YAO Jiankang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:47:59 +0800

Dear all,
 
  CNNIC has implemented the ininital version of UTF8 IMAP based on RFC 5738.
  pls see the http://www.eai-ready.org/mediawiki/index.php/Cyrus-imapd-2.2.12 for some intital test results.
 
  for further information about implementation or tests, you can contact Liu Peng ([email-masked]) or me. 

Jiankang Yao
CNNIC

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:12:10 -0700

Good start.  Cyrus is a good choice for an IMAP server to modify (albeit 
tricky if planning a transition of an traditional Cyrus mailstore to a 
UTF-8 native mailstore).

Although, it's OK to advertise all the capabilities, if you advertise 
"UTF8=ONLY" which means "I choose to break interoperability with all 
existing IMAP clients and require UTF-8 native mailstore support by all 
clients" (perhaps not what you intended), you generally shouldn't advertise 
UTF8=ALL, UTF8=ACCEPT and UTF8=APPEND since those are implied.  If the 
UTF8=ONLY was intentional, you should show an example of SELECT without 
(UTF-8) that fails with an error stating the client is not compatible with 
the server.

The list response has incorrect syntax.  It should look like:

* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" *"<UTF-8 characters>"

The "{18}  " is incorrect.  The intention was that the *"" syntax would be 
a deep change to the IMAP syntax -- so one could modify the routine that 
generates an IMAP astring.

The "* OK rename <UTF-8>" response is not a valid IMAP response unless the 
IMAP LANGUAGE command has been used to negotiate use of UTF-8 in IMAP 
responses per RFC 5255.  It's also not required by the base spec (RFC 
3501), so you could just remove that untagged response from the Cyrus code 
-- it's just an optional informative message.

		- Chris

--On March 20, 2010 21:47:59 +0800 YAO Jiankang <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>   CNNIC has implemented the ininital version of UTF8 IMAP based on RFC
> 5738.   pls see the
> http://www.eai-ready.org/mediawiki/index.php/Cyrus-imapd-2.2.12 for some
> intital test results.