Subject: [EAI] popimap-downgrade-00 - group syntax

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:13:57 -0500

I sent these comments to Fujiwara-san, but forgot to send them to the 
list. Issues we need to deal with:

1. Now that we are allowing the downgrade of "From:" and "Resent-From:" 
without an alt-address, we must point out that RFC 5322 does *not* allow 
group syntax in "From:" and "Resent-From:" and that this document 
changes that syntax. I think that is fine to do that, but this document 
needs to explicitly say that. Perhaps something like this:

4.2.x Header fields that contain <mailbox>s

From:
Sender:
Resent-From:
Resent-Sender:

The definition for these header fields in [RFC5322] only allow <mailbox> 
or <mailbox-list>, which means that they cannot contain the group syntax 
for MAILBOX downgrading described in section 4.1.7. Therefore, this 
specification changes the syntax of the above fields as follows to allow 
a group to appear:

from = "From:" address-list CRLF
sender = "Sender:" address CRLF
resent-from = "Resent-From:" address-list CRLF
resent-sender = "Resent-Sender:" address CRLF

If the header field contains <mailbox> elements that contain non-ASCII 
addresses, perform COMMENT downgrading, DISPLAY-NAME downgrading, and 
MAILBOX downgrading.

2. MAILBOX downgrading makes group syntax recursive for other address 
fields. This one I'm less confident about. But let's say you get a 
message like this:

To: My Friends: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>;

According to the rules, you downgrade this to:

To: MyFriends: Internationalized Address <<Yao's 2047 address>> 
Removed:;, Internationalized Address <<Xiaodong's 2047 address>> Removed:;

I think this is OK, but it changes the syntax of group to:

group = display-name ":" [group / group-list] ";" [CFWS]

If everyone is OK with this, it should go in the document somewhere.

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102