Subject: Re: [EAI] Fwd: Minor comments

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 20:29:20 -0400

--On Wednesday, 27 October, 2010 11:03 -0400 Joseph Yee
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Let's stay consistent with previous RFC.  RFC5321 uses "an"
> instead of "a".

<Co-chair hat on>
Folks, sorry for stepping into this so late, but I want to
strongly reinforce Joseph's comment and carry it a bit further.
Defining and enforcing a consistent style for the RFC Series is
the job of the RFC Editor staff and they are _very_ good at it.
Raising this sort of point and debating it is a distraction for
the WG because whatever decision we make, the RFC Editor will
apply their rules, style manual, and taste.  

If I were convinced that we had no substantive issues with any
of these documents and that everyone had read them and was happy
about them, the distraction would be trivial or even amusing.
But there is not a lot of evidence that is true.

So, if you have small editorial suggestions like this, please
just drop a note to the author.  If the author feels that it is
worth a debate on the list, let him raise it.  Or, if the author
wants an advisory opinion from the RFC Editor, we can try to get
that.

thanks,
     john

thanks,
   john