Subject: [EAI] Consensus Issue #4: new reference and term for "ASCII", "non-ASCII", "UTF-8"?

From: Joseph Yee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:15:45 -0500

Issue #4: new reference and term for "ASCII", "non-ASCII", "UTF-8"?

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/eai/trac/ticket/4

Description 
---------------

Should the WG replace references to "ASCII", "non-ASCII", and "UTF-8" with new or different term s that precisely and accurately identify what is intended?

---------------

Please use this thread or the issue tracker for discussion. The end date of discussion is Tuesday, Jan 25 - 9pm Pacific Time and conclusion will be drawn afterwards.    

Best,
Joseph

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:29:35 -0000

> Should the WG replace references to "ASCII", "non-ASCII", and "UTF-8"  
> with new or different term s that precisely and accurately identify what  
> is intended?

Yes.

I have offered "UTF8-proper" as a possible term.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131                       
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5