Subject: [EAI] Generating DSNs

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 17:24:00 +0200

Hi,

if, for some reason, I need to generate a DSN, I can either generate the
message as is, which may make a DSN that requires SMTPUTF8, or I can
chop away bits or downgrade until the DSN is universally acceptable.

The former _should_ be safe... right? The envelope sender _ought_ to be
able to receive an internationalised DSN. But I'm queasy. I feel there's
something I've overlooked.

My fingers just don't want commit code that requires an SMTP extension
in order to deliver a DSN.

Arnt

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 2013 15:46:42 -0000

>able to receive an internationalised DSN.

You can send an EAI message from an ASCII address, and if you were
sufficiently cement-headed, you could even send it from an ASCII
address that can't receive EAI mail.

But I think we're deep into "don't do that" territory.  At that point,
it's far more likely to be spam blowback than anything the recipient
actually wants.

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 21:46:53 -0400

--On Saturday, September 14, 2013 17:24 +0200 Arnt Gulbrandsen
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> if, for some reason, I need to generate a DSN, I can either
> generate the message as is, which may make a DSN that requires
> SMTPUTF8, or I can chop away bits or downgrade until the DSN
> is universally acceptable.
> 
> The former _should_ be safe... right? The envelope sender
> _ought_ to be able to receive an internationalised DSN. But
> I'm queasy. I feel there's something I've overlooked.

Possibly not.   There are a number of situations in which an
EAI-capable system can be configured in a way that leads to a
mess.  The most significant one involves a receiving system that
uses non-ASCII addresses configuring MX records so that some of
the relay alternatives are not EAI-capable.  IIR, we warn
explicitly against that; I don't think we were as explicit in
warning that a host sending out messages with forward-pointing
non-ASCII addresses had better be able to accept messages that
contain non-ASCII backward-pointing addresses or other header
information.  Such messages can be generated by "reply"
functions, not just as DSNs and are pretty much the same problem
either way.

> My fingers just don't want commit code that requires an SMTP
> extension in order to deliver a DSN.

That is a slightly different matter, since, if you are going to
send a message with non-ASCII envelope or header material, you
pretty much have to handle it as SMTPUTF8 (again, whether it is
a DNS or a simple reply).  The only thing that makes DSNs
special is that I wouldn't lose much sleep or try to go to
special trouble if one turns out to be undeliverable because the
SMTPUTF8 extension isn't supported: whether the relevant
original sender is a spammer (as John Levine suggests) or merely
a moron doesn't make much difference.

     john

---

From: "Jiankang Yao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:05:09 +0800

Dear Arnt Gulbrandsen,

  Next year, CNNIC will host a workshop about the deployment of multi-language email address technology under the APEC framework (www.apec.org) in China around July 2014.
   If your implementation about EAI is ready before next May, welcome to do some demo or presentation about your implementation in that workshop.

Thanks.

Jiankang Yao

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen
Date: 2013-09-14 23:24
To: ima
Subject: [EAI] Generating DSNs
Hi,

Arnt
_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima