Subject: Re: [IMRG] "wish list" of measurement analysis

From: k claffy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:56:59 -0700

jen

re wish list, don't forget sally's excellent pages:
http://www.icir.org/floyd/questions.html
and higher level:
http://www.icir.org/floyd/research_questions.htm

folks have probably seen it already
but it merits a reminder
k

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 08:40:19AM +0100, Victor Reijs wrote:
  Hello Jennifer,
  
  The points would be (see also section 1.3.4 and 1.4 of 
  http://www.surfnet.nl/surfnet/persons/reijs/prive/eng/QoSv0.6.pdf):
  . get a simple cheap reliable one-way delay measurment tool (I 
  know GPS exists but that has some operational problems in some 
  rooms and if you want to provided such tools to many people). We 
  are now working on NTP or NTP based protocols, but not yet sure 
  if they can hadle normal operational environments like (large 
  delay variation and assymetric routes).
  . a tool for measuring available bandwidth (perhaps pathload will 
  work, we are testing this).
  . a video quality description based on the network SLS metric. It 
  looks as if there is not a real description of video imparements 
  due to the SLS metric (delay, delay variation, packet loss, loss 
  pattern, avail bandwidth), like available for audio (MOS).
  . an accepted/standardized measurement infrastructure that can 
  handle all the wishes described in the above document;-)
  
  Hope this helps.
  
  All the best,

  Victor
  Jennifer Rexford wrote:
  >I think it would be useful to put together a "wish list" of unanswered
  >measurement-analysis kinds of questions -- specific questions that
  >could be analyzed and/or measurement tools that could be developed.
  >This would be helpful particularly to graduate students in search of
  >good research topics.  I can accumulate a list of questions -- just
  >e-mail to me and I can summarize to the group, or on a Web page.
  >
  >-- Jen
  >_______________________________________________
  >IMRG mailing list
  >[email-masked]
  >https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg
  >

  -- 
  PGP public key: 
  http://www.heanet.ie/heanet/projects/nat_infrastruct/pubkey.html
  H.323 GDS: <exit-zone>+00353 01101001
  H.323 ViDiNet: <exit-zone>+61330060909 01101001
  
  _______________________________________________
  IMRG mailing list
  [email-masked]
  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg
_______________________________________________
IMRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg

---

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:08:19 -0500

> folks have probably seen it already

Actually more relevant pointer for measurement might be:
http://www.icir.org/models/
http://www.icir.org/floyd/ccmeasure.html  and 
http://www.caida.org/home/jobs/studentprojects.xml

- Senthil.