Subject: [IMRG] FW: cfp: network troubleshooting workshop

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:53:38 -0400

A quick reminder that the deadline for paper registration (abstract +
author list) for the "Network Troubleshooting" workshop is Thursday
(4/8).  The submission site and instructions are available from the link
below.  Thanks!

allman

------- Forwarded Message

Hi folks!

A workshop on "Network Troubleshooting: Research Theory and Operations
Practice Meet Malfunctioning Reality" will be held in conjunction with
SIGCOMM this fall.  We're encouraging research / operators / etc. with
applicable contributions to submit a short paper to this workshop (3-6
pages).  In addition, we're planning on having a poster session.  If
you'd like to setup a poster, please send a 1-page abstract.  The
workshop web page is at:

    http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigcomm/sigcomm2004/netts.html

Submissions will be handled electronically and a link will be added to
the above page soon.

The call for papers is attached.

Thanks!

allman

Network Troubleshooting: Research Theory and Operations Practice
Meet Malfunctioning Reality 

Call For Papers:

Network monitoring and measurement has received a great deal of
attention in the research community recently.  While some research
to-date has been focused on finding problems, failures and anomalies
in networks this workshop endeavors to focus specifically on such
topics.  The workshop seeks papers exploring several themes:

  * DETECTION: Mechanisms and techniques for detecting failures,
    imminent failures and other anomalies in real time.  The focus
    of this workshop is research that can be used operationally to
    help the network in the short-term.  Techniques that require
    heavyweight offline analysis to find problems provide the
    community with an understanding of and an insight into the
    dynamics and potential long-term solutions for network issues,
    but are not the main focus of this workshop.

  * CORRECTION: While detecting problems (or imminent problems) and
    alerting network operators is a good first step, techniques for
    automatically mitigating problems as they occur are also sought.

  * COORDINATION: Detecting and solving problems in a multi-provider
    environment inevitably involves communicating between distinct
    autonomous entities.  Mechanisms and facilities to streamline
    and automate such communication are sought.

  * EXPERIENCE: Insight from network operators into network problems
    they cannot easily detect (or, detect far too late) and tools
    that would make network management much easier.  Input from
    network operators on non-obvious or non-technical considerations
    which impact technical solutions are also sought.

This workshop invites two kinds of submissions: 

(1) Original papers on any area of network measurement, monitoring
    or management specifically directed towards one or more of the
    above themes.
(2) Poster presentation proposals.  While posters on any of the
    above themes will be accepted, posters on operational experience
    are highly sought.

Note: For this workshop, "networks" includes both physical networks
and virtual networks (CDNs, overlays, etc.).

Some of the specific problems of interest, include:

  + Protocol failures - link, routing, management
  + Detecting mis-configuration of network elements
  + Partial hardware failures - intermittent, unreported
  + Traffic engineering for overload control
  + Security - DDoS attacks, detecting compromised network elements,
    intrusion detection (especially for non-edge networks since a
    large body of work already tackles the problems at the network
    edge)

Submissions:

Submissions ranging from presentations of specific research to
position papers are welcome. Papers presenting interesting and novel
ideas at an early stage of development are preferred over completed
journal-style results. Selected papers will be forward-looking, with
impact and implications for both operational networks and ongoing or
future research.

Original papers should be 3-6 standard SIGCOMM formatted pages (with
the expectation that position papers will be shorter and research
papers longer).  

Poster proposals should be sent in the form of 1-page abstracts.

The submission process and specific guidelines will be posted at a
later date.

Important Dates:

Submission Registration: April 8, 2004
Submission deadline: April 15, 2004
Notification deadline: May 15, 2004
Camera ready deadline: June 15, 2004

Workshop Organizers:

  Program Co-Chairs ([email-masked]):
    Jon C.R. Bennett, Harvard University
    Mark Allman, ICIR

  Program Committee:
    Randy Bush, IIJ
    Albert Greenberg, AT&T Research
    Geoff Huston, Telstra
    David Moore, CAIDA/UCSD CSE
    Craig Partridge, BBN Technologies
    Neil Spring, Univ. of Washington
    Rob Thomas, Cisco/Team Cymru

------- End of Forwarded Message