Subject: Re: [IMRG] ipmp review team report

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:16:58 -0400

Thanks to Tony for the thoughtful feedback on the report.

I'd like to (again!) encourage everyone to read through the report and
Tony's note and comment on the state of affairs.  The more thoughts we
have, the better.

Thanks!

allman

_______________________________________________
IMRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imrg

---

From: Mark Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:12:22 -0700

I perceive real value is possible in what IPMP can provide to
organizations like ours.  We do not operate a conventional, commercial
services ISP, but we do provide specific WAN services among researchers
both inside and outside NASA.  We often find ourselves troubleshooting
end-to-end problems with a mixture of inadequate or imprecise tools.

If we had IPMP available, we would use it regularly.  Even if there
were intervening (transport) organizations that didn't support it,
we could get useful information, since we often find problems at or
near the edge - all we'd generally need is provision and support
at a given campus, gigapop, or relevant edge location, to help us
focus on the region(s) of difficulty.

Thus, I agree with Tony and Matthew's comments.  I think the critical
eye of the review team is helpful in focusing the discussion, but I do
feel that the existing IPMP proposals could offer value, once
implemented, even in limited deployment.

----
Mark Foster
NASA Research and Engineering Network
NASA Ames Research Center