Subject: [imss] Review of draft-imss-ipv6-over-fibre-channel-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:36:34 -0500

Hi Claudio,

I reviewed draft-imss-ipv6-over-fibre-channel-00.txt.  This
is a very clear and well-written document, but I do have a 
few comments (below).

Margaret

---

My comments are marked with '>>':

Abstract

   Fibre Channel (FC) is a high speed serial interface technology that   
   supports several Upper Layer Protocols including Small Computer 
   System Interface (SCSI) and IPv4, as specified in [IPFC].
   The purpose of this document is to specify a way of encapsulating IP 
   version 6 [IPv6] over Fibre Channel and to describe a method of 
   forming IPv6 link-local addresses [AARCH] and statelessly 
   autoconfigured addresses on Fibre Channel networks.  This document 
   also describes the content of the Source/Target Link-layer Address 
   option used in Neighbor Discovery [DISC] when the messages are 
   transmitted on a Fibre Channel network.

>> References are not allowed in an abstract.

>> Although the abstract states that this document will describe
>> the contents of the ND link-layer address options, I couldn't
>> find that description in the actual document. 

   From an IPv6 point of view, a Fibre Channel network, built with any 
   combination of the FC topologies described above, is an IPv6 Link 
   [IPv6] connecting any IPv6-capable Nx_Port acting as an IPv6 
   Interface.

>> I don't understand the last part of the above sentence.
>> If I understand the first part of the sentence properly, 
>> it says that an entire FC network will be seen as a single
>> IPv6 link.  What does the second part mean?

_______________________________________________
imss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imss

---

From: Claudio DeSanti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:57:00 -0800

Hi Margaret,

thanks for your review. See in-line my replies.

                        Claudio.

> >> References are not allowed in an abstract.

I'll fix that.

> >> find that description in the actual document.

It is described in section 8, Address Mapping for Unicast.

> >> IPv6 link.  What does the second part mean?

The purpose of this sentence is to map the IPv6 terminology, as defined in 
RFC 2460, into the Fibre Channel terminology. As you correctly understood, 
the first part of the sentence states that a Fibre Channel network is what 
IPv6 calls a "link". The second part of the sentence says (or want to say) 
that an IPv6-capable Nx_Port is what IPv6 calls an "interface".

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:28:40 -0500

> It is described in section 8, Address Mapping for Unicast.

Indeed it is!  I don't understand how I missed that...  I even checked
the option to make sure that it was correctly formed.  Sorry.

> that an IPv6-capable Nx_Port is what IPv6 calls an "interface".

Okay, that makes sense.  I'd break this out into two sentences, though
and be more explicit.

Overall, I want to thank you for doing an excellent job in 
writing this document.

Margaret

---

From: Claudio DeSanti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:47:58 -0800

Thanks Margaret.

Do you find the following rewording for that sentence adequate?

   From an IPv6 point of view, a Fibre Channel network, built with any
   combination of the FC topologies described above, is an IPv6 Link
   [IPv6]. IPv6-capable Nx_Ports are what [IPv6] calls Interfaces.

Thanks,

                            Claudio.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:48:53 -0500

That's perfect, Claudio.  Thanks!

Margaret

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Claudio DeSanti [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 5:48 PM
> To: Wasserman Margaret (NRC/Boston)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: Review of draft-imss-ipv6-over-fibre-channel-00.txt
> 
> 
> Thanks Margaret.
>