Subject: [imss] FW: COMMENT: draft-ietf-imss-ipv6-over-fibre-channel-01

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:39:02 +0200

I received this comment from IESG review from Russ Housley:

   COMMENT

   Section 4.1 does a good job of pointing out that layer 2 and layer 3
   security protocols can be used.  This information should be repeated
   in the security considerations.
   >
   > The FC ESP_Header [FC-FS] MAY be used to secure the FC frames
   > composing the FC Sequence. [AH] or [ESP] may be used to provide
   > security at the IPv6 layer. Other types of FC Optional Header MUST
   > NOT be used in an IPv6 FC Sequence.
   >
   It would be nice to expand on this discussion in the security considerations
   section, especially in the area of layer 2 security since [FC-FS] is not as
   easy to obtain as an RFC.

Can Claudio pls suggest a pragraph to be added to the security section?

If it is not too big, I may be able to do it as an RFC-Editor note.

Bert

_______________________________________________
imss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imss

---

From: Claudio DeSanti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:46:47 -0700

Hi Bert,

I would rewrite the security considerations section as follows:

    IPv6 does not introduce any additional security concerns beyond those
    that already exist within the Fibre Channel protocols. Zoning
    techniques based on FC Name Server masking (soft zoning) do not work
    with IPv6, because IPv6 over Fibre Channel does not use the FC Name
    Server. The FC ESP_Header [FC-FS] may be used to secure the FC frames
    composing FC Sequences carrying IPv6 packets. All the techniques
    defined to secure IPv6 traffic at the IPv6 layer may be used in a
    Fibre Channel environment.

I don't think it would be appropriate to expand more this section on the 
ESP_Header. FC-FS is the base specification of Fibre Channel, is well known 
to everybody involved with Fibre Channel, and may be easily obtained from 
the T11 web site.

Thanks,

                                Claudio.