Subject: [imss] More nit-fixes, and a new section

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:47:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Continuing my nit-fixing chores, I've created new versions of two more
WG documents:

   ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ftp/kzm/draft-ietf-imss-fc-fspf-mib-01.txt
   ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ftp/kzm/draft-ietf-imss-fc-rtm-mib-01.txt

While updating draft-ietf-imss-fc-rtm-mib-01.txt, I remembered a question
and answer about this MIB which had occurred in a T11.5 meeting, but had
not been recorded/included in the text.  I've rectified that by adding the
following section:
 
  5.5.  The t11FcRouteTable's INDEX

    It is normally valuable for a MIB table which contains routes to be
    ordered such that a management application is able to query the table
    based on some attribute, without having to read every row in the MIB
    table.  This requires the rows in the table be ordered according to
    such attributes, and thus, that those attributes be represented by
    objects included in the table's INDEX clause.  Examples of this can
    be seen in the ipCidrRouteTable [RFC2096], and more recently, the
    inetCidrRouteTable in [RFC2096bis].

    Providing the same useful feature in the MIB in this document,
    results in having an unusually large number (ten) of objects in the
    t11FcRouteTable's INDEX clause.  However, all ten are either integers
    or strings of length 0 or 3 octets.  Thus, the aggregate number of
    sub-identifiers to be appended to an OBJECT-TYPE's OID when naming an
    instance of an object in this table, is at most 22 sub-identifiers,
    i.e., less than the *minimum* number to be appended for the
    inetCidrRouteTable table.  In other words, while ten is an unusually
    large number of objects in an INDEX clause, the resultant OIDs are
    not unusually large.

If anyone has any comments on this text, or any other comments on either
of the two new versions listed above, please let me know.  If not, then I
propose to submit the new versions as I-Ds. 

Keith.

_______________________________________________
imss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imss