Subject: [imss] Protocol Action: 'The Virtual Fabrics MIB' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:05:43 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Virtual Fabrics MIB '
   <draft-ietf-imss-fc-vf-mib-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Internet and Management Support for Storage 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and David Kessens.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imss-fc-vf-mib-02.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information 
   Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the 
   Internet community. In particular, it describes managed 
   objects for information related to the Fibre Channel 
   network's Virtual Fabric function. 

Working Group Summary
 
   There seems to be wide support in the WG for this document, although the 
   participation in the WG was thin lately. 

Protocol Quality
 
   The document was reviewed by Bert Wijnen on behalf of the IESG. 
   It was reviewed also in Technical Committee
   T11 (the official Fibre Channel standards body).  T11 voted to
   recommend a prior version of this document to the IETF.
   Keith McCloghrie is acting as MIB expert for the IMSS WG. 

Note to RFC Editor
 
1. In the title of Section 6

OLD: 
6.       The T11-FC-IRTUAL-FABRIC-MIB Module 

NEW:
6.       The T11-FC-VIRTUAL-FABRIC-MIB Module 

2. Add to Section 1 the following:

    The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
    "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
    document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

3. Add a normative reference to RFC 2119

4. In Section 5

OLD: 

   This MIB module provides the means for monitoring the 
   operation of, and configuring some parameters of, one or more 
   instances of Fibre Channel Virtual Fabric functionality. 
   (Note that there are no definitions in this MIB module of 
   "managed actions" which can be invoked via SNMP.) 

NEW: 

       This MIB module provides the means for monitoring the 
       operation of, and configuring some parameters of, one or more 
       instances of Fibre Channel Virtual Fabric functionality. 
       (Note that there are no definitions in this MIB module of 
       "managed actions" which can be invoked via a remote network
       management protocol such as SNMP.)

5. In Section 5.1:

OLD: 

   The object, fcmInstanceIndex, is IMPORTed from the FC-MGMT-
   MIB [RFC4044] as the index value to uniquely identify each 
   Fibre Channel management instance within the same SNMP 
   context ([RFC3411] section 3.3.1).

NEW: 

     The object, fcmInstanceIndex, is IMPORTed from the FC-MGMT-
     MIB [RFC4044] as the index value to uniquely identify each 
     Fibre Channel management instance, for example within the
     same SNMP context ([RFC3411] section 3.3.1).

6. In Section 6:

OLD: 

          This table augments the fcmSwitchTable, i.e., every entry 
          in this table has a one-to-one correspondence with an 
          entry in the fcmSwitchTable.  At the time when the  
          fcmSwitchTable was defined, it applied to physical 
          switches. With the definition and usage of virtual 
          switches, fcmSwitchTable now applies to virtual switches 
          which (unlike physical fabrics) are create-able via SNMP. 
          So, this entry contains a RowStatus object (to allow the 
          creation of a virtual switch), as well as a StorageType 
          object.  Obviously, if a row is created/deleted in this 
          table, the corresponding row in the fcmSwitchTable will 
          be created/deleted."  

NEW: 

          This table augments the fcmSwitchTable, i.e., every entry 
          in this table has a one-to-one correspondence with an 
          entry in the fcmSwitchTable.  At the time when the  
          fcmSwitchTable was defined, it applied to physical 
          switches. With the definition and usage of virtual switches,
          fcmSwitchTable now applies to virtual switches as well as
          physical switches, and (in contrast to physical switches)
          it is appropriate to provide the capability for virtual
          switches to be created via remote management applications,
          e.g., via SNMP.
          So, this entry contains a RowStatus object (to allow the 
          creation of a virtual switch), as well as a StorageType 
          object.  Obviously, if a row is created/deleted in this 
          table, the corresponding row in the fcmSwitchTable will 
          be created/deleted."  

IANA Note

   Upon approval IANA will be requested to allocate a sub-tree identifier for 
   this MIB module under mib-2.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

_______________________________________________
imss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imss