Subject: [Insipid] Last Call: <draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs-11.txt> (Requirements for Marking SIP Messages to be Logged) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 14:14:42 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the INtermediary-safe SIP session ID
WG (insipid) to consider the following document:
- 'Requirements for Marking SIP Messages to be Logged'
  <draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs-11.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-01-13. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   SIP networks use signaling monitoring tools to debug customer
   reported problems and for regression testing if network or client
   software is upgraded.  As networks grow and become interconnected,
   including connection via transit networks, it becomes impractical to
   predict the path that SIP signaling will take between clients, and
   therefore impractical to monitor SIP signaling end-to-end.

   This draft describes requirements for adding an indicator to the SIP
   protocol data unit (PDU, or a SIP message) that marks the PDU as a
   candidate for logging.  Such marking will typically be applied as
   part of network testing controlled by the network operator and not
   used in regular client signaling.  However, such marking can be
   carried end-to-end including the SIP terminals, even if a session
   originates and terminates in different networks.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.