Subject: [Insipid] Last Call: <draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking-11.txt> (Marking SIP Messages to be Logged) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 14:38:03 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the INtermediary-safe SIP session ID WG
(insipid) to consider the following document: - 'Marking SIP Messages to be
Logged'
  <draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking-11.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-07-10. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   SIP networks use signaling monitoring tools to diagnose user reported
   problems and for regression testing if network or user agent software
   is upgraded.  As networks grow and become interconnected, including
   connection via transit networks, it becomes impractical to predict
   the path that SIP signaling will take between user agents, and
   therefore impractical to monitor SIP signaling end-to-end.

   This document describes an indicator for the SIP protocol which can
   be used to mark signaling as being of interest to logging.  Such
   marking will typically be applied as part of network testing
   controlled by the network operator and not used in normal user agent
   signaling.  Operators of all networks on the signaling path can agree
   to carry such marking end-to-end, including the originating and
   terminating SIP user agents, even if a session originates and
   terminates in different networks.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-insipid-logme-marking/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.