Subject: [Int-area] FWD: [anycast 43] Practical Anycasting BoF Description

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:47:00 -0500

I'm just relaying this, as an FYI.  Followups presumably should go to
the effort desribed here:

	http://anycast.anarg.jp/

Thomas

------- Forwarded Message

From: Hiroshi KITAMURA <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:32:33 +0900 (JST)
Subject: [anycast 43] Practical Anycasting BoF  Description
Lines: 95
Reply-To: Hiroshi KITAMURA <[email-masked]>

Dear Subscribers of Practical Anycasting BoF ML ([email-masked]).

This ML was non-active ML.  We would like to change this situation and
make this ML active in order to have a Practical Anycasting BoF at the
next Dallas IETF meeting.

We wrote a draft Description of Practical Anycasting BoF.
We attach a part of it below. Of course, you can see the same document
on our web site (http://anycast.anarg.jp/).

We have issued 5 I-Ds on our anycast activities.¡¡You can see it on
our web site (http://anycast.anarg.jp/).

After you read our draft BoF Description or our I-Ds,
could you let us know your comments.

We will pick up some anycast topics which are described draft
Description or I-Ds and continue to discuss anycast issues on this ML.

Following 3 I-Ds must be interesting and easier to start reading.

IPv6 Anycast Terminology Definition:
  http://anycast.anarg.jp/drafts/draft-doi-ipv6-anycast-func-term-05.txt

Mobile IPv6-based Global Anycasting:
  http://anycast.anarg.jp/drafts/draft-ata-anycast-mip6-02.txt

A Protocol for Anycast Address Resolving:
  http://anycast.anarg.jp/drafts/draft-ata-ipv6-anycast-resolving-04.txt

Regards,
Hiroshi 

------------------------------------------
Description of Discussion Group:

It is thought that anycast has many potential abilities which enable
various good and convenient functions. 

There are strong desires to make anycast useful in real-world services
and various applications with ease.

Currently, anycast is already used or designed to use in
some services or applications (e.g. some DNS root servers, ..). 
Unfortunately, they are very limited and used by very limited
people. We would like to change this situation. 

We would like to make a world that anycast is used by general and
various services and applications by anyone with ease.

Reasons why anycast is not widely used are: 

1. Definition on anycast function or terminology is vague. 

   There are many misunderstandings on anycast. Some people do not
   even understand basic anycast functions, (e.g., they do not
   recognize differences between "subnet anycast" and "global
   anycast"). 

   We have to start from definition clarifications on them.

2. General mechanisms that enable to use anycast for general and
   various applications are not prepared.

   Many people misunderstand that special mechanism is necessary to
   use anycast for some services or applications, and it not easy to
   provide anycast functions.

   It must be possible to provide generic mechanisms that enable to
   use anycast for any services or applications with ease.

3. Since anycast address can not be used for source address, it is
   thought that anycast can be used only for "one shot"-type connections
   and not used for "continuous"-type connections.

   This is a surface understanding. From practical viewpoints, there
   must be ways to use anycast for TCP/UDP "continuous"-type
   connections. Without them, anycast will be used only for some
   limited services and charm of anycast will be reduced.

Goals and Milestones:
   Schedules are tentative and subject to change

?? Clarify definitions on anycast function and terminology.
?? Clarify requirements and problems in using anycasting.
?? Propose mechanisms and methods to solve problems.
?? Design methods to use anycast for general and various services 
	or applications with ease.
?? Design methods to use anycast for TCP/UDP "continuous"-type connections

------------------------------------------

------- End of Forwarded Message

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area