Subject: [Int-area] draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-01.txt

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:13:27 +0200

Hi,

I've updated my multi-mtu draft:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-01.txt

Other than some minor text issues that caught my eye I didn't change  
the discussion about the larger packet downsides and CRC issues.

The router advertisement is now much simpler and contains a priority  
and three MTUs: for 1000, 100/unknown-speed and 10 Mbps. However, I  
do introduce two new flags: one that suggests that nodes are  
"conservative" in probing neighbor MTUs (I'm not 100% convinced about  
this one) and one that tells hosts do skip the probing so it's  
possible to have a subnet with both nodes that support all of this  
and ones that are simply configured with a non-standard MTU, i.e.,  
interoperate with current jumbo frame deployments.

The switch message is gone and there is more discussion about  
probing. If anyone has additional jumbo frame sizes seen in the wild,  
please let me know. Probing is now done using neighbor discovery with  
IPv6 but that requires breaking RFC 2461 under some circumstances.  
For IPv4 it's done with jumbo ARP. The text is fairly rough and I  
didn't spell check (takes forever on texts like this) so don't mind  
the typos.

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area