Subject: [Int-area] sprite-mtu

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:55:44 -0700

A new proposal on tunnel MTU determination is now available
in the I-D repository as:

 "Simple Protocol for Robust IP/*/IP Tunnel Endpoint MTU
  Determination (sprite-mtu)"
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-inetmtu-05.txt

The proposal asserts that there is nothing fundamentaly
wrong in the normative tunnel MTU handling specifications
(RFCs 2003; 4213) - only that they are incomplete. It also
specifies simple mechanisms for completion that provide:

  1) a means for avoiding MTU-related black holes
  2) a means for avoiding corruption in reassembly buffers
  3) improved convergence and efficiency

Please review the document (abstract below) and send comments
to the list.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

Abstract

   The nominal Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) of today's Internet has
   become 1500 bytes, but IP/*/IP tunneling mechanisms impose an
   encapsulation overhead that can reduce the effective path MTU to
   smaller values.  Additionally, existing tunneling mechanisms are
   limited in their ability to support larger MTUs.  This document
   specifies a simple protocol for robust IP/*/IP tunnel endpoint MTU
   determination (sprite-mtu).

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area