Subject: [Int-area] 802.1X Authentication for DSL (was DHCP-based authentication for DSL)

From: "Congdon, Paul T (ProCurve)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:12:19 -0000

>(2) Standard 802.1x was driven by security between physical Ethernet
>ports.  The extension work on 802.1af needed for credentials to
traverse
>a DSLAM will not be available in needed timeframes.

802.1X was driven to allow Port-Based Network Access Control.  It is
used on wireless ports as well as wired ports today.  It could be used
with anything that has a port and L2 access through that port, including
virtual ports.  Granted there are some complications when the port
access is a traditional 'shared' port, but those are being resolved and
people ship solutions today.  

What specific extensions in 802.1af are required to traverse a DSLAM for
you to apply the technology in this environment?

Paul Congdon

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area