Subject: [Int-area] (no subject)

From: Li Yizhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:39:02 +0800

I do not get your point? If you are saying we can fix this by changing
802.1x, and changing every low end switch and every aggregation switch in
broadband, as well as the RGW and BNG currently involved in PPPoE, then
bravo, you get right on that.

In the meanwhile two vendors and a couple of service providers have a
proposal that requires changing the RGW and BNG only.

[yz] Whenever we talk about the introduction of new/upgraded solutions to
certain problem in certain scenario, cost concern is unavoidable. As the
initiation of IP session auth is from DSL world, I think DHCP auth is a
simple and cost effective solution and it can be easily fit into current DSL
infrastructure.

rgds,
 
Yizhou

- Ric

Bernard Aboba wrote, around 9/10/07 3:48 PM: 

DHCP requests are broadcast, whereas EAPoL packets are not. 

EAPoL packets are sent to a non-forwardable multicast address in wired
networks, and to a unicast address in IEEE 802.11.

The first issue is simply that 802.1x does not traverse a switch. 

Not so. Forwarding of IEEE 802.1X frames is a frequently implemented feature
in switches. For example, this feature is routinely supported on low end
switches and VOIP handsets with switch ports.

A whole world of issues arise when you try break that part of 802.1x by
having it traverse a switch as 802.1x is port authentication, not host
authentication 

Again, not true. IEEE 802.1X switches today routinely support MAC address
state, not just port state. In fact, this feature is supported within the
Cisco 65xx series switches.

****************************************************************************
**************
 This email and its attachments contain confidential information from
HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is
listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way
(including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction,
or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is
prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
phone or email immediately and delete it!
 
****************************************************************************
*************
 
_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area