Subject: Re: [Int-area] Please respond: Questions from the IESG as to whether a WG forming BOF is necessary for LISP

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:19:48 -0500 (EST)

> the real question about LISP is not whether it will work at small
    > scale, but whether it will work reliably and efficiently on an Internet
    > with millions of active prefixes (as opposed to 300k prefixes).

Well, that's not the _only_ question about LISP, but it's certainly one
important one.

I would like to point out, though, that the mapping sub-system is really a
fairly independent part of the overall architecture, and one that is, to a
pretty fair degree, independent of the rest, making use of a different system
for full-scale operation entirely plausible (although a new mapping
sub-system would of course have to be operationally verified).

In fact, there are already several different proposals - the initial
deployment is using ALT, but there is also CONS (into which a great deal of
work went, although it's currently on the back burner).

There are some issues with switching from one to the other 'in flight', a
topic into which I put some thought, and sent out a note describing the
main issues - if there is interest, I can dig it out so we can discuss
this.

	Noel
_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area