Subject: [Int-area] LISP agenda update

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:14:36 -0800

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:23:59 -0800

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:23:45 -0500

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:31:14 -0800

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:15:08 +0200

Dave,

> Jul 2010  Submit Recommendations on how LISP protocols (LISP base
>           protocol, LISP+ALT mapping system, and LISP multicast)
> 	  address the Design Goals for Scalable Internet Routing [1].
>   
"Recommendations" sounds funny here. Maybe instead: A preliminary 
analysis of how LISP addresses the...? Applicability of LISP to the...?

The charter also needs a better description of the context, e.g., 
relation to IRTF work.

Jari

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:44:37 -0800

> analysis of how LISP addresses the...? Applicability of LISP to the...?

	Sure. That was Dimitri's text. Will fix.

> The charter also needs a better description of the context, e.g.,  

	Will do.

	Dave

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:53:45 -0800

Jari,

> The charter also needs a better description of the context, e.g.,  

	Check the below.

	Dave

---
LISP (Locator/ID Separation Protocol)

Last Modified: 2009-01-27

Chair(s):
 Darrel Lewis <[email-masked]>
 TBD

Internet Area Director(s):
 TBD

Routing Area Advisor:
 TBD

Secretary:
 TBD
 
Mailing Lists:
 General Discussion: [email-masked]

Description of Working Group:

The IAB's October 2006 workshop on Routing and Addressing
Workshop [0] rekindled interest in scalable routing and
addressing architectures for the Internet. Among the many issues
driving this renewed interest are concerns about the scalability
of the routing system and the impending exhaustion of the IPv4
address space. Since the IAB workshop, several proposals have
emerged which attempt to address the concerns expressed there and
elsewhere. In general, these proposals are based on the
"Locator/Identifier separation" (frequently referred to as Loc/ID
split).

The basic idea behind the Loc/ID split that the Internet
architecture combines two functions, Routing Locators, or RLOCs
(where you are attached to the network) and Endpoint Identifiers,
or EIDs (who you are) in one number space: The IP
address. Proponents of the Loc/ID split postulate that splitting
these functions apart with yield several advantages, including
improved scalability for the routing system via improved
aggregation of RLOCs. However, in order to be efficiently
aggregated, RLOCs must be allocated in a way that is congruent
with the topology of the network ("Rekhter's Law"). Today's
Provider Allocated IP address space is an example of this kind of
allocation scheme.  EIDs, on the other hand, are typically
allocated along organizational boundaries. Since the network
topology and organizational hierarchies are rarely congruent, it
is difficult (if not impossible) to make a single number space
efficiently serve both purposes.

In summary, the Loc/ID split aims to decouple location and
identity, thus allowing for efficient aggregation of the RLOC
space, providing persistent identity in the EID space, and in
some cases to providing for secure and efficient mobility.  

The LISP protocol is an instantiation of the separation of
Internet address space into Endpoint Identifiers and Routing
Locators designed by means of a network-based map-and-encap
scheme.

LISP and companion documents (see below) are proposals that
respond to the problems discussed at the IAB's October, 2006
Routing and Addressing Workshop [0]. The purpose of the WG is to
work on the design on the LISP base protocol [1], the LISP+ALT
mapping system [2], LISP Interworking [4] and LISP multicast
[6]. The working group will encourage and support interoperable
LISP implementations as well as defining requirements for
alternate mapping systems. The Working Group will also develop
security profiles for the ALT (presumably using technology
developed in the SIDR working group) and/or other mapping
systems.

Goals and Milestones:

Mar 2010  Submit base LISP specification to the IESG for
          Experimental.

Mar 2010  Submit base ALT specification to the IESG for
          Experimental.

Mar 2010  Submit the LISP Interworking specification to the IESG
	  for Experimental.

June 2010 Submit Recommendations for Securing the LISP Mapping
	  System to the IESG for Experimental.

Jul 2010  Submit LISP for Multicast Environments to the IESG for
	  Experimental. 

Jul 2010  Submit a preliminary analysis of how the LISP protocols
	  (LISP base protocol, LISP+ALT mapping system, and LISP
	  multicast) address the Design Goals for Scalable
	  Internet Routing [7]. 

Aug 2010  Re-charter or close.

Internet-Drafts:
	draft-farinacci-lisp-11.txt
	draft-farinacci-lisp-multicast-01.txt
	draft-fuller-lisp-alt-03.txt
	draft-lewis-lisp-interworking-02.txt

Request For Comments:
	  None

References
----------
[0]     Meyer, D. et. al., "Report from the IAB Workshop on
        Routing and Addressing", RFC 4984.

[1]     Farinacci, D. et. al., "Locator/ID Separation Protocol
        (LISP)", draft-farinacci-lisp-11.txt.

[2]	Fuller, V., et. al., "LISP Alternative Topology
	(LISP-ALT)", draft-fuller-lisp-alt-03.txt

[3]	Iannone, L., and O. Bonaventure, "OpenLISP Implementation
	Report", draft-iannone-openlisp-implementation-00.txt.

[4]	Lewis, D., et. al., "Interworking LISP with IPv4 and
	IPv6", draft-lewis-lisp-interworking-02.txt.

[5]	Mathy, L., et. al., "LISP-DHT: Towards a DHT to map
	identifiers onto locators", draft-mathy-lisp-dht-00.txt.

[6]     Farinacci, D., Meyer, D., Zwiebel, J., and S. Venaas,
	"LISP for Multicast Environments",
	draft-farinacci-lisp-multicast-01.txt.  

[7]      T. Li, Ed., "Design Goals for Scalable Internet Routing",
         draft-irtf-rrg-design-goals-01, IRTF, July 2007.