Subject: [Int-area] draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 14:09:36 -0700

I realize INTAREA is not meeting at IETF81, but we would like to bring
attention to the informational document
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis,
abstract:
  "This document analyzes a set of solution candidates which have been
   proposed to mitigate some of the issues encountered when address
   sharing is used.  In particular, this document focuses on means to
   reveal a host identifier when a Carrier Grade NAT (CGN) is involved
   in the path.  This host identifier must be unique to each host under
   the same shared IP address.

   The ultimate goal is to assess the viability of proposed solutions
   and hopefully to make a recommendation on the more suitable
   solution(s)."

This document seems to belong in INTAREA, considering the various solutions
to the abuse problem described in that document is due to IPv4 address 
sharing, and INTAREA has already taken on documents related to IPv4 
address sharing:
  draft-ietf-intarea-shared-addressing-issues       (RFC6269)
  draft-ietf-intarea-server-logging-recommendations (RFC6302)

Based on that analysis document, the most preferred solution is 
draft-wing-nat-reveal-option (standards track).  I expect we will
pursue draft-wing-nat-reveal-option in BEHAVE or perhaps TSVWG.

-d