Subject: [Int-area] FW: I-D Action: draft-templin-aerolink-61.txt

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 16:28:10 +0000

Hello,

In Prague, I gave a talk on AERO tunnel MTU and fragmentation considerations.
This is written up in the AERO draft, but really is intended to apply to all types
of IP-in-(foo)-in-IP tunnels.

Basically, it says that the tunnel should not impose any restrictions on the size
of packets that can enter the ingress, but packet size limitations within the
tunnel are reflected back to the original source when possible. When it is
not possible to ensure that suitable PTB messages can be returned to the
original source, the tunnel uses tunnel fragmentation when necessary to
ensure that packets no larger than 1500 bytes are conveyed to the egress.
Therefore, the largest data packet the egress will ever be asked to
reassemble is 1500 bytes.

The implication of this approach is that it closely parallels RFC2473 when
the original source, ingress and egress are all located within the same
well-managed administrative domain. Otherwise, it ensures that packets
up to 1500 bytes traverse the tunnel even if a little bit of fragmentation
is needed and expects that original sources that send packets larger than
1500 bytes use RFC4821.

Comments?

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 9:03 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-aerolink-61.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)
        Author          : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-aerolink-61.txt
	Pages           : 69
	Date            : 2015-08-05

Abstract:
   This document specifies the operation of IP over tunnel virtual links
   using Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO).  Nodes attached
   to AERO links can exchange packets via trusted intermediate routers
   that provide forwarding services to reach off-link destinations and
   redirection services for route optimization.  AERO provides an IPv6
   link-local address format known as the AERO address that supports
   operation of the IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (ND) protocol and links IPv6
   ND to IP forwarding.  Admission control, provisioning and mobility
   are supported by the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6
   (DHCPv6), and route optimization is naturally supported through
   dynamic neighbor cache updates.  Although DHCPv6 and IPv6 ND
   messaging are used in the control plane, both IPv4 and IPv6 are
   supported in the data plane.  AERO is a widely-applicable tunneling
   solution using standard control messaging exchanges as described in
   this document.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-aerolink/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-aerolink-61

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-templin-aerolink-61

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt