Subject: [Int-area] Major review of GUE

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:58:41 +0100

Folks,

I just posted a major review, deconstruction and reconstruction of GUE 
to the NVO3 list.

Rather than cross-posting, I thought it best to just send this heads-up 
email around other lists and people, so responses all stay in one place.

I spent the last fortnight working late into the nights on it. It is 
about as long as the GUE draft itself (!), so I split it in three, with 
the following subject lines.

Review ptA: Technical draft-ietf-nvo3-gue-04
Review ptB Editorial: draft-ietf-nvo3-gue-04
Review ptC redesign of parts: draft-ietf-nvo3-gue-04

* Pls read the review of "GUE as-is" first (ptA), it hopefully gives 
solid arguments for why some parts of GUE's design are problematic.
* I'm afraid that is rather an understatement - I think I have 
undermined nearly every part of the wire protocol: the version field, 
the C flag, the Hlen field, and the flag-based options. And I believe 
the semantics of the one remaining part (the proto/ctype field) misses 
an opportunity to be a lot more powerful.

* PtC reconstructs it all again, and IMO ends up with a really simple 
and more powerful solution. I've also worked out a nice way (IMO) to 
solve the checksum problem.

I can now get on with the rest of my life.

Cheers

Bob

-- 
________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe                               http://bobbriscoe.net/