Subject: [Int-area] Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-hostname-practice-03.txt> (Current Hostname Practice Considered Harmful) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 06:28:46 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Internet Area Working Group WG
(intarea) to consider the following document:
- 'Current Hostname Practice Considered Harmful'
  <draft-ietf-intarea-hostname-practice-03.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-01-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Giving a hostname to your computer and publishing it as you roam from
   one network to another is the Internet equivalent of walking around
   with a name tag affixed to your lapel.  This current practice can
   significantly compromise your privacy, and something should change in
   order to mitigate these privacy threads.

   There are several possible remedies, such as fixing a variety of
   protocols or avoiding disclosing a hostname at all.  This document
   describes some of the protocols that reveal hostnames today and
   sketches another possible remedy, which is to replace static
   hostnames by frequently changing randomized values.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-hostname-practice/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-hostname-practice/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.