Subject: (ION) IPOA MIB (RFC 2320) and PVCs question

From: "Michael Fischer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:57:06 +0000

Hello,
i have a problem understanding the mibtables provided in RFC 2320 for 
configuring IPOA PVC environment. In short the question is how would 
i be able to configure an IPOA client to be member of 2 LIS (having 
at least one IP address in each LIS). Furthermore each LIS should use 
a different set of PVCs to other members of the LIS. In other words 
what i am missing is the possibility to define a set of PVCs on a per 
LIS basis. 
Another problem is the IP adresses configuration of the client. The 
often referenced ipAddrTable is defined to be read-only.

Please point me out what i am missing. Thanks a lot in advance for 
any help with this problem.

Michael Fischer
------------------------------------
Michael Fischer             Tel.: ++49-721-625180
Fa. HiLan                   Fax.: ++49-721-6251899
Albert-Nestler-Str. 13      Mail: [email-masked]
D-76131 Karlsruhe
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 98 11:40:30 EST

Michael,

>at least one IP address in each LIS). Furthermore each LIS should use

Each client has an ipoaArpClientEntry. Read the text in the description
of an entry in this table in the MIB. An entry is indexed by
ipAdEntAddr which is the index for the ipAddrTable. The ipoaLisTable
can be used to define LISs. Also, I beleive that there would be one
client entry per LIS.

>what i am missing is the possibility to define a set of PVCs on a per

Each PVC would have a ipoaConfigPvcEntry and indexed by:

     ipoaConfigPvcIfIndex,
     ipoaConfigPvcVpi,
     ipoaConfigPvcVci

ipoaConfigPvcIfIndex points to the interface that the PVC is over.
ipoaConfigPvcVpi and Vci identify the PVC. The ifIndex via the
ipAddrTable should yeild local IP address.

>often referenced ipAddrTable is defined to be read-only.

Sure. This is an old table defined by RFC1213. Its implementation
dependent as to how entries are added or removed from this table since
there isn't a RowStatus object. I haven't personally had a need to
add entries in this table via SNMP but I imagine that it would be
simple to define either an Enterprise MIB table or argument the
table with a RowStatus object to enable remote row manipulation or
use the approach mention in the description for ipoaArpClientEntry.

Regards,

Ken

---

From: "Michael Fischer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:27:31 +0000

>...a different set of PVCs to other members of the LIS. In other 
> words what i am missing is the possibility to define a set of PVCs 
> on a per LIS basis.
> 
 If i understand you right here, the connection  between a local IP 
 address and a set of PVCs is the ifIndex pointing to the same (ATM) 
 interface.  But this relation would be  ambigous. E.g. it would be 
 able to configure different local IP addresses (from different LISs 
 the client should be member of and which are also configured). The 
 ifIndex of all local IP adresses could also point to the same ATM 
 interface. On this ATM interface i could define a number of PVCs to 
 be used with IPOA with the help of the ipoaConfigPvcTable. 
 Configuring those PVCs i am not able to tell to which LIS a PVC 
 "belongs". One solution i see is the use of logical interfaces (one 
 for each LIS) but there is no hint in the RFC for the need of that. 
 Maybe i am completly wrong with the concept and there is no need to 
 tell to which LIS a PVC belongs. That would lead to all configured 
 LIS being "visible" behind all configured PVCs.Which then would 
 maybe also lead to some confusion in counting the ARP stuff. 
 
 Thanks a lot for any help in that matter,
 Michael