Subject: (ION) InARP doubt (rfc 2225/rfc 2390)

From: Ajit Nayak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 12:04:52 +0530

Hi ,
'am a bit confused regarding the InARP operation in case of 
an multi-addressed hosts where he host has multiple protocol addresses
assigned to a single interface.

As per RFC 2225(classical IP and ARP over ATM) section 8.2 (Permanent Virtual Connections)
 If a client has more than one IP address within the LIS and if using
 PVCs, when an InATMARP_Request is received an InATMARP_Reply MUST be
 generated for each such address.

and as  RFC 2390 (InARP)  section 7.1 
says if a multi-addressed host receives an InARP request, it must
choose one request  with which to respond......and the receiving 
station should respond with an IP address which corresponds to 
the same  subnet as the requesting station.

though to me RFC 2390 sounds better, an someone please clear my
doubt, quite possibly i might have  misinterpreted the stuff above..

thanks
Ajit Nayak
FutureSoft
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 02:16:24 -0500

Ajit,

The two requirements are slightly different, since RFC 2225 is refering to
multiple IP addresses within the same LIS (read subnet), while RFC 2390 was
making an unstated assumption that the host had only one IP address per
subnet.  In any case, if you're writing code for inATMARP, then the
requirement in RFC 2225 overrides RFC 2390.  Otherwise, follow RFC 2390.

Cheers,
Andy

-------

>doubt, quite possibly i might have  misinterpreted the stuff above..

________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414   fax:978 392-2074
Ascend Communications, Inc.        1 Robbins Road     Westford, MA 01886
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.