Subject: (ION) I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ion-proxypar-arch-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 06:32:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internetworking Over NBMA Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Proxy PAR
	Author(s)	: A. Przygienda, P. Droz
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ion-proxypar-arch-02.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 24-Feb-00
	
Proxy-PAR is a minimal version of PAR (PNNI Augmented Routing) that
gives ATM-attached devices the ability to interact with PNNI devices
without the necessity to fully support PAR. Proxy-PAR is designed as a
client/server interaction, of which the client side is much simpler than
the server side to allow fast implementation and deployment.

The purpose of Proxy-PAR is to allow non-ATM devices to use the flooding
mechanisms provided by PNNI for registration and automatic discovery of
services offered by ATM attached devices.  The first version of PAR pri-
marily addresses protocols available in IPv4. But it also contains a
generic interface to access the flooding of PNNI. In addition, Proxy-
PAR-capable servers provide filtering based on VPN IDs [1], IP protocols
and address prefixes. This enables, for instance, routers in a certain
VPN running OSPF to find OSPF neighbors on the same subnet. The protocol
is built using a registration/query approach where devices can register
their services and query for services and protocols registered by other
clients.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ion-proxypar-arch-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ion-proxypar-arch-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ion-proxypar-arch-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.