Subject: (ION) RE: [MOBILE-IP] Private addressing reference in rfc2002-bis ?

From: Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:59:02 -0800 (PST)

<[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk
X-Info: [Un]Subscribe to [email-masked]
X-Info: Submissions to [email-masked]
X-Info: Email archive at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ion/
interesting, thanks for the pointer to the vpn-id stuff.
hmmm... oui's are another name space...

what i like about realm names is that there is no extra
administration overhead and they are already used within the
nai. from rfc2486 (nai):

    This document defines a new namespace that will need to be
    administered, namely the NAI realm namespace. In order to to avoid
    creating any new administrative procedures, administration of the NAI
    realm namespace will piggyback on the administration of the DNS
    namespace.

    NAI realm names are required to be unique and the rights to use a
    given NAI realm for roaming purposes are obtained coincident with
    acquiring the rights to use a particular fully qualified domain name
    (FQDN).  Those wishing to use an NAI realm name should first acquire
    the rights to use the corresponding FQDN. Using an NAI realm without
    ownership of the corresponding FQDN creates the possibility of
    conflict and therefore is to be discouraged.

also, what is the oui for the root realm?

not all realms will map to a unique oui. in order to specify different
realms (for example for small/informal/impromptu/soho), owners of oui's might
have to get in the business of further administering the subsequent
4 byte octet index value in the vpn-id, to avoid collisions. it gets
messy, specially because the small network operators (driving forces
behind nats and rsip applications) now have to ask a much larger
corporation (large enough to own an oui) to allocate some vpn-id
space for them. perhaps oui's work best at the high-end, with large
corporations and ISP's. not sure they're a good easy thing to use
for smaller networks, where a DNS domain name may be simpler.

by the way, if the idea is to use a fixed size binary representation
for a "vpn-id", did the ion working group consider

in addition to this:

	3 octet oui + 4 octet index value

this?:

	2 octet ASN (autonomous system number) + 4 octet index value

saves you one byte, but most importantly, it reuses stuff that's
already needed as a precondition to getting on the internet.
seems like both oui and asn variations could be useful.

regards,

-gabriel

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.