Subject: [Iotops] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk-02.txt

From: Kiran M <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 15:14:28 -0800

Hi Iotops,

As you know I have been studying several aspects of industrial networks 
to improve interoperability through use of standard 
protocols/technologies. We have put our thoughts on virtualization of 
PLCs, how they could be better than conventional ones and what could be 
their potential impact on the traditional industrial network designs.

I look forward to feedback and discussion on the topic to improve it 
further.

Thanks
Kiran
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From:* [email-masked]
*Sent:* Saturday, March 5, 2022, 9:52 PM
*To:* Kiran Makhijani; Lijun Dong
*Subject:* New Version Notification for draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk-02.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Kiran Makhijani and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk
Revision: 02
Title: Virtualization of PLC in Industrial Networks - Problem Statement
Document date: 2022-03-05
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 22
URL: https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk-02.txt
Status: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk/
Html: https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk-02.html
Htmlized: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk
Diff: https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk-02

Abstract:
Conventional Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) impose several
challenges on factory floors as their numbers and size on the factory
floors/plants continues to grow. Virtualized PLCs can help overcome
many of those concerns. They can improve the automation in Industry
control networks by simplifying communication between higher-level
applications and low-level factory floor machine operations. Virtual
PLCs provide an opportunity to integrate a diverse set of non-
internet protocols supporting Industrial-IoT and IP connections to
improve coordination between applications and field devices. Besides
automation, virtual PLCs also enhance programmability in industry
process control systems by abstracting control functions from I/O
modules. However, to achieve desired outcome and benefits, both
operational and application networks should evolve.

This document introduces virtual PLC concept, describes the details
and benefits of virtualized PLCs, then focuses on the problem
statement and requirements.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 
Cheers,
Kiran