Subject: [Iotsi] Journal of Web Semantics: Special Issue on Web semantics for the Internet/Web of Things

From: "Willner, Alexander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 12:50:02 +0000

Hi,

As I think this Special Issue on Web Semantics for the Internet/Web of Things might be of interest for the Internet of Things Semantic Interoperability group members, please find below further information.

Best regards, Alex

-- 
Join us at the international IIoT Forum Nov. 8th in Berlin! http://www.iiot-forum.org

Dr.-Ing. Alexander Willner
Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) Center
Fraunhofer Institute for Open Communication Systems (FOKUS)
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31, 10589 Berlin, Germany
http://s.fhg.de/willner

======================
Special Issue on Web semantics for the Internet/Web of Things

The Journal of Web Semantics invites submissions to a special issue on
Semantic Web research and technologies specifically for the Internet
of Things / Web of Things. The goal is to demonstrate how this area
can benefit from specific research contributions and advances of the
Semantic Web.

The existing global networking infrastructure has facilitated the
widespread development of cyber-physical systems, through networks of
smart objects, pervasively using the internet for connectivity and
communication. These ``things'' that communicate using Internet
protocols and make the results of their computation available in
real-time have given rise to rapidly evolving, new paradigms of
computing that contribute towards realizing a global, distributed
infrastructure with a lot of similarities to the Web. Many areas such
as smart cities, smart buildings, social networks, wearables, and
large-scale sensor deployments, along with applications in diverse
domains such as e-health, agriculture, environmental monitoring and
e-commerce already demonstrate significant uptake and impact.

However, the exciting and enhanced capabilities of these networks
present several unprecedented and complex challenges that need to be
overcome before data, device and service interoperability on IoT/WoT
networks can deliver all of their predicted potential. Despite being
connected, there are a plethora of isolated islands of heterogeneous
networks that require heavy lifting of protocols and data, and
reconciliation of semantics before they can truly communicate using
Internet standards. Additionally, interconnected networks produce a
data deluge to the order and scale of big data which will present
scalability problems to the network and data analysis and knowledge
extraction and management. Besides the well-known paradigm of the
Cloud, new approaches such as (mobile) edge computing and fog
computing have been proposed to address these problems. The goal is to
not transport all data but the relevant data across the Internet. This
requires a fundamental rethinking of current architectural paradigms
and a decentralization of analysis and knowledge technologies towards
the edge and inside the whole Internet. The end of this process may be
the convergence of the so far traditionally separated research areas
of information processing and communication into a single
architectural paradigm. It is clear that semantic technologies will
play a vital and central role in achieving this vision.

The focus of this special issue is to showcase novel and disrupting
approaches for the semantic Web to aid in this mission. The ability to
analyze, represent and integrate data into higher level artefacts from
very large distributed information sources, the description and
management of the data and technical infrastructure and the mutual
influences and interactions among technical infrastructures, knowledge
creation and use and social aspects are central research questions for
researchers, organizations, and governments.

This special issue wants to bring together cutting-edge research with
particular emphasis on novel and innovative techniques applied to
real-world scenarios that showcase the distinguishing benefits through
the application of Semantic Web approaches, ontologies, and Linked
data principles to the important questions and new challenges raised
by IoT/WoT.

Topics of interest with a clear focus on applying or developing novel
approaches in these areas include but are not limited to:

    - Big data and real-time data processing for IoT/WoT
    - Communication protocols for IoT/WoT and their implementation
    - Modeling and analysis of physical components and environment
    - Distributed knowledge management (creation and integration of
      higher-level artefacts in edge / fog computing) 
    - Industrial applications and use cases: lessons learned and
      success stories 
    - Frameworks, models, methods, techniques and toolkits for
      building the IoT/WoT 
    - Smart Infrastructure:
       - Fault tolerance in critical buildings and infrastructures
       - Energy efficiency in homes, buildings and infrastructures
       - Traffic and mobility
       - Intelligent sensors and actuators for homes, buildings and
         infrastructures 
       - Smart solutions for health and medicine
       - Security and privacy issues for IoT/WoT
       - Data Analytics for IoT/WoT
       - Data and service governance for IoT/WoT
       - Data quality and quality of service for IoT/WoT platforms
       - IoT/WoT service architectures and platforms

Guest Editors

Monika Solanki, Oxford University, [email-masked] 
Manfred Hauswirth, Technical University of Berlin,
                   [email-masked]

Important Dates

Submission deadline: 30th September 2017
Author notification: 15th January 2018
Final version:       15th March 2018
Final notification:  15th April 2018
Publication:         1st May 2018

Submission guidelines

We will aim at an efficient publication cycle in order to guarantee
prompt availability of the published results. We will review papers on
a rolling basis as they are submitted and explicitly encourage
submissions well before the submission deadline. Submission of papers
will be online at the journal's Elsevier Web site.
======================