Subject: many IP addrs over 1 1394 channel

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:39:34 -0700

Does anyone oppose removing all references (execpt the
CAUTION note in section 10.0 page 20) that relate to
multiple IP addresses sharing a single 1394 channel?

Thanks,

-myron

---

From: Peter Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 02:06:18 EDT

In a message dated 99-04-07 14:40:08 EDT, [email-masked] writes:

<<Does anyone oppose removing all references (execpt the CAUTION note in
section 10.0 page 20) that relate to multiple IP addresses sharing a single
1394 channel?>>

Well, in a technical sense I object---since we already explicitly permit
multiple IP addresses on the default broadcast channel.

Also, interoperability amongst listeners is not compromised if more than on
IP address is present on a non-default channel.

In order to sensibly permit multiple addresses on a single channel, the
channel owner needs to have some new "smarts" we haven't specified yet. I
think that if I (the channel owner) were to exclusively own the channel and
never relinquish ownership until the channel use is in a state comprehended
by our draft that I could, indeed, enable multiple address use without
compromising interoperability.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue
Berkeley, CA  94707

(510) 527-3926
(510) 527-3856 FAX

[email-masked]

---

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:27:53 -0700

Peter,

This sounds like a good area for a creative implementation, but I'm
not sure why such text needs to be in a Spec. Is there a reason?

-myron