Subject: WG Issues Closed

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:05:53 -0700

All known issues with IPv4 draft are closed. Please, if you have
any additional issues, bring them forward ASAP. It is much easier
to address issues now, before we start  another WG Last Call, than
during the WG Last Call. The editor is traveling through tomorrow so it
will be a few days before the next draft is available.

Here are the resolutions to the closed issues:

1) Add "and RESPONSES" so that ARP responses from a remote
bus are not processed.

Proposed text DONE

2) Remove the reference to section X in section 11, page 23.

Proposed text DONE

3) State that a node that wishes to urgently relinquish ownership
of a IP mcast address to 1394 channel mapping must instigate a bus
reset.

Proposed text DONE. Proposed text in 10.7 is:

"The owner of an existing channel mapping that wishes to release the mapping
SHALL commence a timer to measure the time remaining before the anticipated
release of the mapping and its associated channel. Until the timer counts
down to zero, the owner SHOULD continue to transmit MCAP advertisements for
the affected channel but SHALL adjust expiration in each advertisement to
reflect the time remaining until the channel is to be deallocated. If the
owner is unable to transmit MCAP advertisements until the timer reaches
zero, it shall initiate a bus reset. Otherwise, the sequence of expiration
times
transmitted by the owner intending to release the mapping SHALL decrease
with each succeeding advertisement. If other multicast source(s) are using
the
same channel mapping and observe an expiration time less than or equal to 30
seconds, they SHALL commence transmitting MCAP advertisements for the
channel mapping with refreshed expiration times greater than or equal to
30 seconds that maintain the channel mapping. Any contention that occurs
between multiple sources that attempt to claim ownership of the channel
mapping SHALL be resolved as described in 10.6. If the original owner
observes an MCAP advertisement for the channel to be relinquished
before its own timer has expired, it SHALL NOT deallocate the channel
number."

4) A solution is needed for the error in MCAP where a 1394 channel is
deallocated yet the channel continues to be used for IP mcast.  The
solution is to send expire time of 0 for 30 seconds. Dealloc channel
after 30 seconds. Owner-want-to-be must allocate new channel once
expire time reaches 0. Proposed text is not done.

5) Add text that states that once a node starts attempting to become an
owner it must complete all steps until it either becomes the owner or
determines that another node became the owner.  Proposed text is
not done.

6) Text explaining buffer size may need improvement. The salient points in
the text should be: buffer size is equal in all link fragments and buffer
size is equals the size of IP packet (including the header). Textual
modifications to this point are left to the editor's discretion.

7) Remove the reference to sharing multiple IP mcast addrs with a
single 1394 channel.

8) WG will not consider multiple IP mcast addrs mapped to a single 1394
channel for the current IPv4 over 1394 draft(s).

-myron
WG Co-Chair