Subject: WG Issues closed/open

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:05:28 -0700

This mail has the list of closed issues and open issues. The closed issues
for
which Peter has already posted proposed text are noted below. One of these
issues is somewhat complex; the proposed text for this complex issue is
included
below. Beyond the closed issues are two open issues. If no additional
comments
are posted on the open issues by 4/21 we'll close those two issues as
described
below. Note, we must still have a WG Last Call that will last a week. We
will start
the WG last call directly after Peter publishes the next version of the
draft.
Thanks for the great comments!

CLOSE ISSUES:

1) Add "and RESPONSES" so that ARP responses from a remote
bus are not processed.

Proposed text DONE

2) Remove the reference to section X in section 11, page 23.

Proposed text DONE

3) State that a node that wishes to urgently relinquish ownership
of a IP mcast address to 1394 channel mapping must instigate a bus
reset.

Proposed text DONE. Proposed text in 10.7 is:

"The owner of an existing channel mapping that wishes to release the mapping
SHALL commence a timer to measure the time remaining before the anticipated
release of the mapping and its associated channel. Until the timer counts
down to zero, the owner SHOULD continue to transmit MCAP advertisements for
the affected channel but SHALL adjust expiration in each advertisement to
reflect the time remaining until the channel is to be deallocated. If the
owner is unable to transmit MCAP advertisements until the timer reaches
zero,
it shall initiate a bus reset. Otherwise, the sequence of expiration times
transmitted by the owner intending to release the mapping SHALL decrease
with
each succeeding advertisement. If other multicast source(s) are using the
same channel mapping and observe an expiration time less than or equal to 30
seconds, they SHALL commence transmitting MCAP advertisements for the
channel
mapping with refreshed expiration times greater than or equal to 30 seconds
that maintain the channel mapping. Any contention that occurs between
multiple sources that attempt to claim ownership of the channel mapping
SHALL
be resolved as described in 10.6. If the original owner observes an MCAP
advertisement for the channel to be relinquished before its own timer has
expired, it SHALL NOT deallocate the channel number."

4) A solution is needed for the error in MCAP where a 1394 channel is
deallocated
yet the channel continues to be used for IP mcast.  The solution is to send
expire
time of 0 for 30 seconds. Dealloc channel after 30 seconds. Owner-want-to-be

must allocate new channel once expire time reaches 0. Proposed text is not
done.

5) Add text that states that once a node starts attempting to become an
owner
it must complete all steps until it either becomes the owner or determines
that
another node became the owner.  Proposed text is not done.

6) Text explaining buffer size may need improvement. The salient points in
the text
should be: buffer size is equal in all link fragments and buffer size is
equals
the size of IP packet (including the header). Textual modifications to this
point are
left to the editor's discretion.

OPEN ISSUES:

1) Decide whether or not to remove the reference to sharing a
multiple IP mcast addrs with a single 1394 channel.  The text will be
removed
barring additional comments by 4/21.

2) Using multiple IP mcast mapped to single channel. Waiting for opponents
of postponing this work beyond current draft. This issue will not be
addressed
by current draft barring additional comments by 4/21.

-myron
WG Co-Chair