Subject: Re: fragmentation / reassembly specifications in the IP/1394 Draft

From: Peter Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:47:34 EDT

In a message dated 99-10-28 15:17:38 EDT, [email-masked] writes:

<<I just learned that we are able to make some very minor tweaks to the draft
48 hours before it becomes an RFC.>>

That's good new, if we can improve on the language. What I have seen so far
simply adds words, not necessarily clarity. Perhaps my effort (below) is no
better; if not, we should try harder.

buffer_size: The size, expressed as buffer_size + 1 octets, of a buffer
adequate to contain the entire IP datagram once it is reassembled from its
link fragments. The value of buffer_size SHALL be the same for all link
fragments of an IP datagram and shall be one less than the value of Total
Length in the datagram's IP header (see RFC 791).

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue
Berkeley, CA  94707

(510) 527-3926
(510) 527-3856 FAX

[email-masked]