Subject: Re: IP/1394 WG close

From: Larry Cleeton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:22:28 -0700

Thomas and all,

Microsoft does have an interest in moving IP/1394 forward onto IPv6.  We
have a publicly available preview of an IPv6 implementation that works on
Windows 2000.  IPv6 is very important to Microsoft and to the Internet
community at large and you can expect to see increasing effort on our part
to deploy production quality IPv6. Our IP/1394 implementation for IPv4 is
part of our new consumer version of Windows called Windows Me (Millennium
Edition) that will be available at retail on Sept 14th.  It is our intention
to support IP/1394 on all our future releases of consumer products and our
enterprise and professional workstation products.

I am willing to commit resources to work on an IPv6 over 1394 document.

Larry Cleeton
Program Manager
Microsoft Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 5:07 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IP/1394 WG close

"G. Nagaraj" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thank you very much Myron for the great work in getting such good RFCs.

> I would like to add EnThink also to the list of successful
Interoperability
> Testers (March).

> I hope the IPv6 over 1394 will start before the closure of WG or it might
> open a new WG. Let us wait and see if any positive responses are there.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) have interest in working on
such a document? And do you have a sense for how *soon* an IPv6 over
1394 document will be needed?

Context: I think a lot of folks would like to see such a document, but
when the mailing list was asked in the past, there was a conspicuous
lack of volunteers to come forward to do the work. :-) Perhaps that
has changed, now that the 1394 over IPv4 work is done.

I would certainly be interested in seeing a critical mass of people (2
or 3 might even be enough) commit to tackling this problem.

Note also that there is an (old) expired ID on the topic
(draft-fujisawa-ip1394-ipv6-03.txt). I have no idea of how out of date
it is relative to the work that has been done for IPv4 over 1394. It
expired over a year ago.

Thomas