Subject: IP/1394 WG close

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:34:12 -0700

Congratulations to everyone for their hardwork for completing RFC 2734 IPv4
over 1394 and the recently announced RFC 2855 that defines DHCP extensions
for 1394.

Special thanks to Peter Johansson and Kenji Fujisawa for their beginning-to-end
effort that started a little more than three years. Both Peter and Kenji
consistently acted as accurate technical references to help the group move
forward. Also, special thanks to the developers at Sony, Intel, Microsoft,
NEC, Intoto, and HCL for their outstanding implementations during the
interoperability tests.

So what does it mean that the IP/1394 WG is closing?

Well, those interested in continuing on IPv6 over 1394 or IP over 1394 isoch
streams should consult with Thomas Narten and Erik Nordmark, the Area
Directors for IP/1934 WG, to request a BOF or to publish informational RFCs.
The current drafts on these topics will be removed from the IETF pages as
they expire.

Our web page, http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ip1394-charter.html, will
be going away in a matter of days.

This list will remain active for as long as it remains useful; however,
this email is the first useful message posted on this list in months. I
suspect this list will be gone by the end of the summer.

It's been a pleasure working with and meeting everyone.

Best regards,

Myron Hattig
WG Co-Chair

---

From: "G. Nagaraj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:22:18 +0530

Thank you very much Myron for the great work in getting such good RFCs.

I would like to add EnThink also to the list of successful Interoperability
Testers (March).

I hope the IPv6 over 1394 will start before the closure of WG or it might
open a new WG. Let us wait and see if any positive responses are there.

Thanks again.

Regards,

G. Nagaraj

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF IP over 1394 Working Group
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Hattig, Myron
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 3:04 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IP/1394 WG close

Special thanks to Peter Johansson and Kenji Fujisawa for their
beginning-to-end

Best regards,

Myron Hattig
WG Co-Chair

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:06:42 -0400

> open a new WG. Let us wait and see if any positive responses are there.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) have interest in working on
such a document? And do you have a sense for how *soon* an IPv6 over
1394 document will be needed?

Context: I think a lot of folks would like to see such a document, but
when the mailing list was asked in the past, there was a conspicuous
lack of volunteers to come forward to do the work. :-) Perhaps that
has changed, now that the 1394 over IPv4 work is done.

I would certainly be interested in seeing a critical mass of people (2
or 3 might even be enough) commit to tackling this problem.

Note also that there is an (old) expired ID on the topic
(draft-fujisawa-ip1394-ipv6-03.txt). I have no idea of how out of date
it is relative to the work that has been done for IPv4 over 1394. It
expired over a year ago.

Thomas

---

From: "G. Nagaraj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:32:56 +0530

I do have interest in working on such a document. But I am not sure how
helpful will I be as I haven't studied IPv6 fully. I can complete my study
of IPv6 and start my contribution to the IPv6 over 1394 document. And I
don't see any problem other than taking permission from my employer.

Now, regarding how soon such a document will be needed, I don't have an
idea. The question comes back to the number of implementations of IPv6 over
Ethernet. As the Internet is still on IPv4 (as far as I know), the drive for
IPv6 is not so heavy. I don't see even Microsoft / Linux / any other OS with
IPv6 support right now for Ethernet. So the question of *soon* is very
difficult to answer.

Might be by the time we complete the IPv6 over 1394 document, which I expect
will take at least a year, I expect the IPv6 to be in almost all the
platforms by at least in 1.5 years.

-Nagaraj

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 5:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Steve Deering; Bob Hinden; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: IP/1394 WG close

Thomas

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:11:54 -0700

Nagaraj,

>IPv6 support right now for Ethernet. So the question of *soon* is very

You can find a list of IPv6 implementations at

   http://playground.sun.com/ipng

Look on the implementations page.  There are IPv6 implementations listed
for all of the OS's you cite and I am pretty sure they all support IPv6
over Ethernet.

Bob

---

From: "G. Nagaraj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:00:31 +0530

Thanks Bob,

I now know that the support is there. But I haven't seen a way of defining
an IPv6 address in Microsoft Windows Operating systems. If there is a
special way of doing it than from the normal network configurations, which I
am not aware of, then it is OK.

With all these OSs already supporting, then the expectation of the Internet
moving to IPv6 is not so far. Am I right? If the internet moves towards
IPv6, then I think the demand for IPv6 over 1394 is very high.

- Nagaraj

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Hinden [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 8:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Thomas Narten; Steve Deering; Bob Hinden;
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: IP/1394 WG close

Nagaraj,

Bob