Subject: docsDevEvThrottleInhibited confusion

From: "Bob Himlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:40:04 -0700

docsDevEvThrottleInhibited OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX      TruthValue
        MAX-ACCESS  read-only
        STATUS      current
        DESCRIPTION
            "If true(1), trap and syslog transmission is currently
             inhibited due to thresholds and/or the current setting of
             docsDevEvThrottleAdminStatus. In addition, this is set to
             true(1) if transmission is inhibited due to no
             syslog (docsDevEvSyslog) or trap (docsDevNmAccessEntry)
             destinations having been set."
        ::= { docsDevEvent 4 }

This object description conflicts with itself.  It says it is to be set true
(1) if trap AND syslog transmission is inhibited due to throttling.  It also
says it is to be set true (1) if no syslog OR trap destination is
configured.  This means it is possible to configure a CM with a syslog
server and no trap destination, and the object will read true (inhibited)
even though syslog events are not necessarily inhibited.  Or would they be?
Same thing if a trap destination is configured but no syslog.  I would
suggest the last sentence "no syslog or trap" be changed to "neither syslog
nor trap".  Or comments on a different legal interpretation of this object.

Bob Himlin
TurboNet Communications