Subject: Réf. : TOS overwrite & 1.1 packet classification

From: "Louis Bourbeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:51:59 -0400

Sorry for answering so late, but we think that for IP telephony the TOS
overwrite should be implemented on the internet interface (Data interface). If
some hacker put a higher TOS on his data traffic, then the voice (or later
video) would not be disrupt in upstream DOCSIS traffic, but would be disrupt in
backbone traffic or in DOCSIS downstream traffic that is base on TOS. Maybe the
fonctionnality could be implemented in the CMTS but it would augmented his
processing or latency for QOS traffic.

Louis Bourbeau

"Bob Himlin" <[email-masked]> on 99-07-23 14:04:54

Veuillez répondre à [email-masked]

Pour :    [email-masked], [email-masked],
      [email-masked]
cc :   (ccc : Louis Bourbeau/VL/GVL)
Objet :   TOS overwrite & 1.1 packet classification

Does anyone know a reasonable way to go about handling the case where a CM
is instructed to perform both a TOS-overwrite and packet classification
based on TOS?  It would seem to me that it would be a mistake for an
operator to configure a CM to do this, but I still wonder what the correct
value a CM should to look at for classification purposes - the original or
the overwritten value?  I suppose you could say that it depends on the
interface specified in the IP filter rule that points to the TOS overwrite
rule, so if the TOS overwrite happens on an Ethernet inbound interface, for
example, the classification would be based on the overwritten TOS.  In the
same example, if the TOS overwrite happens on the RF outbound interface, the
original TOS should be used.  Does anyone have any different ideas about how
to implement this?

Bob Himlin, TurboNet Communications
15932 Bernardo Center Drive
San Diego, CA 92127
 [email-masked]