Subject: RE: RFC 2670 (RFI) MIBS

From: Jason Schnitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 10:47:07 -0600

Hi Yoram, 

Some answers below.

FYI - Most MIB related discussions are posted to the docsis-oss and
IETF/ipcdn mailing list([email-masked]). The docsis-macup folks are
probably tired of MIB related questions :^)

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Yoram Shnap [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 5:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 2670 (RFI) MIBS

Hi, I need some clarifications about the following MIBS related to rfc2670
(RFI):

1.  docsIfDownstreamChannelTable : write access,
 Frequency, Width, Modulation, Interleave entries.
 
 Does a modification of those , affect the system immediately (re-initialize
)?
 or on the next startup?

Not clear whether your talking about CMTS (read/write) or CM (RO). However,
if a CMTS's downstream channel parameters are modified via SNMP or
otherwise, they take affect immediately. In the CM's case, de-registration
of all modems on the channel would result. The CMs would determine the new
DS parameters during re-initialization and these would be reported in the DS
table. 
 
 If it is on the next startup , what the Get function returns : the current
or
 modified value ?

CMTS : The specification is silent on object persistence over
cycles/reboots. This is vendor dependant.

CM : Again, the CM's DS channel table will reflect the current configuration
of the DS channel to which it is attached. If is not attached to a DS
channel, this is vendor specific.   

2.  docsIfUpstreamChannelTable - ranging backoff entries ,write access:
 
      Those parameters are published in the MAP messages periodically, 
       so what is the meaning of setting these entries  via the SNMP ?

CMTS : RW access allows you to configure these MAP-delivered parameters.
CM : Read-only access... you can't directly configure a specific CM's
backoff via SNMP -- this must be done for the whole channel through the
CMTS.

If it's unclear what the ACCESS (RO/RW) requirements are for CM vs. CMTS,
refer to the compliance statements at the end of the MIB module. 

 3.  docsIfStatusTable,    docsIfCmStatusValue:
    
       This entry  relates to  Mac initialize  process . 
       How the  SNMP return status (1..7) before  IpComplete (getting an IP
address)? 
 
It won't. However, if a vendor elects to implement some form of CPE side
diagnosis functionality that allows for local SNMP access BEFORE a
successful DHCP response, then this could be useful.  

4.  docsIfCmServiceTable : docsIfCmServiceId:
       This question relates to docsIfCmServiceId which is also  an index at
       DocsBpiCmTEKEntry. 
       The RFI docsIfCmServiceTable  describes attributes for upstream
service 
       queue only.,   but what about the downstream  BPI entries?

Not sure what you mean.

Thanks,
Yoram Shnapp
Ultracom communications

---

From: Jason Schnitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:14:40 -0600

Corrections? :^)

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Rosenboim [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 11:09 AM
To: Jason Schnitzer
Cc: 'Yoram Shnap'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: RFC 2670 (RFI) MIBS

Hi,

I have few corrections to Jasons answer.

Both docsIfDownstreamChannelTable and docsIfUpstreamChannelTable are
read-write
(most fields) at CMTS
and read-only at CM (see compliance statement). So, changes in CMTS occur
immediately and no changes can
be made in CM.

--
Pavel Rosenboim
Senior Software Engineer
Tel: +972 (3) 5715163
NetGame.